Installing second ram leads to screen not turning on.

Kilobyte Kid

Installing second ram leads to screen not turning on.

Laptop: ASUS F510UA

I'm trying to install a second RAM stick into my laptop however anytime I try to boot with the second RAM stick installed, my screen will be blank/black. I know it has to do with the second RAM slot because I did some test that prove it isn't the RAM stick. Original RAM stick is single rank 8gb, aftermarket ram stick is  Crucial dual rank 8gb.  Both Crucial and Samsung RAM sticks are DDR4.  I'm pretty sure this doesn't matter but I put up the information just incase anyone ask. 

Test 1:     Slot 1: Samsung RAM(Original RAM Stick)    Slot 2: Empty  Result: Boots fine.  This was how the computer originally came.

Test 2:    Slot 1:  Samsung RAM      Slot 2:  Crucial RAM  Result: Power button light boots but screen won't turn on.

Test 3:    Slot 1:  Empty     Slot 2: Crucial RAM   Result: Power button light boots but screen won't turn on.

Test 4:    Slot 1:  Empty      Slot 2:  Samsung RAM  Result:  Power button light boots but screen won't turn on.

Test 5:   Slot 1: Crucial RAM    SLot 2:   Empty Result: works fine.

Test 6:   Slot 1 Crucial RAM    SLot 2 : Samsung RAM   Result:  Power button light boots but screen won't turn on.

Anytime the second RAM slot is occupied, the system wont boot.However with the first slot occupied with either samsung or crucial, the system works fine.

Because of these test I suspect that it has to do something with the second RAM slot.  Is there a settings I have to change in order the be able to access the second RAM slot or do I have to change anything in the software side before I am allowed to use the second RAM slot? 

Just did a reset on the bios to default and the screen still wont turn on.

This is my first time trying to upgrade a laptop and I have little to no expreience with these types of things so if there is a solution, please be clear and very thorough with the instructions given. Thank you.

The Picture attached is of the Crucial RAM stick in Slot 1 while the Samsung(Original RAM) sits by Slot 2(Not inserted).

IMG_6247.jpgUntitled2.pngIMG_6248.JPG

2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Installing second ram leads to black screen.

You've done a good job on your troubleshooting and since both memory sticks work in the one slot but not the other one the slot is most likely bad.   Blow some compressed air into the bad slot as it might have accumulated some dust & dirt over the years.

Make sure your laptop's firmware is up to date and reset the BIOS/UEFI settings to Defaults.   I'm not familar with the BIOS/UEFI settings for this laptop, but just go through them in case something might apply.  I doubt there would be a relevant setting just for using single sticks, but it does not hurt to check.

If your laptop supports using larger memory modules, you could return the 8GB stick and use just a single 16GB stick.

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Installing second ram leads to black screen.

Thanks for the reply. I did reset the bios and still it does not want to boot up.  Also this computer is less than a year old so I doubt the issue is cause by dust blocking the connection points.  Furthermore I did do a visual check to see if there was anything that looks out of the ordinary and it seems that the connection points are clean.  Again thanks