Laptop Make and Models supporting 32GB Memory

Bit Baby

Laptop Make and Models supporting 32GB Memory

Hi,

I am looking to buy a laptop. My only criteria is upgradeability. I would like to buy something low to midrange with 8GB memory max and 128 - 256 SSD to keep costs low and later upgrade to 32GB. 

Right now I have to plugin each model here at Crucial to find out the max supported memory. And most of them should 16GB or soldered memory in slot etc.

Is there a way to find out all available models that can support upto 32GB (16 X 2) Or find out all chip sets that support 32GB and then search for laptops that have those chipsets.

Regards,

2 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Laptop Make and Models supporting 32GB Memory

The best way to find a laptop supporting the RAM you want is to check out the manufacturer's website and look at their products.  Some OEM websites such as Dell provide filter options for certain criteria such as RAM amounts.  I know some Dell laptops are capable of 32GB of memory, but they are usually the higher end & more expensive models.  Once you find a compatible model, then you can purchase it direct from the OEM by customizing it or search online for the model configured with less memory.  Some OEMs will make this process very difficult requiring you to look at spec sheets, User/Service Guides, & Crucial's website as you've already done.  Personally I find purchasing a laptop very difficult & annoying because of the games these OEMs play, but unfortunately we have no choice in the matter.

Besides looking for systems capable of 32GB, you should also investigate how the upgrade(s) must be performed since some systems are difficult to access.

Bit Baby

Re: Laptop Make and Models supporting 32GB Memory

After searching for more than a week I am still not close to finding anything cheap that can support 32gb memory. The only model I know for sure that will support 32gb and which comes at a reasonable cost is Lenovo E480 which sells around $600-$700. There are Dell Latitudes and HP probooks which supports 32gb but they are over $1000.

Another problem I am running into is if I choose a slightly older used laptop, crucial does not give a accurate info on the upgrade options. For instance there is no way of knowing whether a used hp G5 probook will support 32gb. Crucial will go by the make and model and probably will suggest yes upgradable to 32gb. But since its a 2017/18 model with the same make and model name but with a generation 6 or 7 processor, it will not support 32gb.

So overall, I am not able to find what I am looking for. Any old (used) or new laptop with 8gb memory but supporting 32gb in the $600 range is proving hard to find. 

Any insights appreciated.

Regards,