MSI A78M-E45 mobo, DDR3 at 1600

Kilobyte Kid

MSI A78M-E45 mobo, DDR3 at 1600

Hi experts,

I have an MSI A78M-45 board.   2 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz sticks, all working great.

Then I add a pair of Crucial same specs, and the mobo just beeps, cant get to BIOS screen.

I pulled the original pair, and just tried the Crucial, this time fans come on, but no beeps, no video.

The Crucial sticks are

CT8G3ERSLD4160B.36FKD
8GB DDR3 - 1600 1.35v DDR3L DR x

Are you able to tell if its a compatibility issues with this board?

Thank you.

3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MSI A78M-E45 mobo, DDR3 at 1600

Did you try the new memory in the slots occupied by the original RAM you pulled out?  Have you tried the new sticks one at a time by themselves?

Kilobyte Kid

Hi appreciate the reply!  Yes, I've tried the Crucial memory sticks one at a time. 8GB each.  Same results, the fan comes on but no video, etc.  So can't get to the BIOS info.  When I plug the other memory back in (they are made by Corsair) it works fine. 16GB = 2x8GB.    The mobo seems to be running with the Corsair, and Current DRAM frequency at 1600 MHz ok.

I did notice the Crucial sticks say 1.35 volts printed on them.  When I can see the BIOS with Corsair memory it says its running 1.5 v but also says that DRAM Timing Mode is Auto.    I can see that these 2 Crucial sticks might not be compatible with the Corsair, but I am surprised they are not working by themselves. 

There is something in the BIOS called Intel Extreme Memory Profile XMP, that is disabled.  Dont know what that is, besides I have an AMD CPU.

I appreciate any other thoughts you might have?

JEDEC Jedi

I've read reports about needing to reset the BIOS when changing memory on some systems.

As for XMP settings, you could try turning it on.  Shutdown the system and install just the new Crucial RAM to see if it will boot with XMP enabled.  I've never had the pleasure of working on a system where XMP was an option so I really cannot advise you on that aspect.  Basically motherboards have what are referred to as XMP profiles for certain known RAM so it can optimize it for you.  This is a really simplified explanation and may not be completely accurate.  You will need to refer to the motherboard User Guide for more information.  From what I understand, if the system won't boot with XMP enabled, then you will likely need to reset the BIOS  in order to boot the system again.