Memory runs at lower speed when the second module is added.

Kilobyte Kid

Memory runs at lower speed when the second module is added.

Crucial system scan:

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=6915053531D926C3

System:

System Manufacturer: Olidata S.p.A.
System Model: W622-UK8X
Motherboard Manufacturer: ARIMA
Motherboard Model: W622UK8X

BIOS: OLID0F06, Version 1.00 (I couln't find any bios upgrade to this)

Memory:

Maximum Memory: 4096GB (according to the Crucial scan; I shouldn't know how I can fit  so much GB in two DDR slots)
Currently Installed Memory: 2GB
Total Memory Slots: 2
Available Memory Slots: N.A.

Installed: 2x DDR PC3200 (DDR400) - 1024 MB modules (Crucial CT12864X40B) (as advised by Crucial)

After installing thefirst memory module I checked it with memtest 86+ version 4.20:

It said that the RAM seting was 200 MHz (DDR400); so OK; memtest also OK on the memory

After adding the second memory module it said: RAM setting 127 MHz (DDR255) CAS 2-2-2-6

so the combination of the two identical memory modules is recognised incorrect (by the BIOS?)

Memtest was doing OK on the memory, so not other problem was signalled.

Removing the first one, Memtest reported again as expected: 200 MHz (DDR400); so the second module functions standalone also allright. 

My question: why is this advised memory going to a lower speed when I am using both modules in my machine, while the same modules run at the expected speed when used alone?

Anyone any idea?

Note: Pevious the laptop was occupied by two 512 MB DDR 333 modules without any problem at the correct speed.

Tags (1)
6 Replies
Highlighted
Mo Betta Heat Spreada

Re: Memory runs at lower speed when the second module is added.

I looked for any manuals on this machine that might explain the issue.  Unfortunately, there isn't much out there.  Generally speaking if this is truely happening, it is because there is a bank restriction that when multiple modules are used, the system will automatically clock the memory down.

Have you actually looked in your BIOS to see if it is reporting the same as memtest?  Something you may consider trying.  I personally have had memtest report the wrong memory speed before.  I would be curious to see what CPU-Z reports as your memory speed.  You can find this utility at cpuid.com.

Dude, Crucial Employee, US
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

Hi Dude,

Thank you for the reply.

I could find in the manual no restriction on the memory banks, it just said: two slots which each can be fitted with 1GB DDR400 as maximum.

I have already looked in the BIOS, but this is a very simple BIOS in which you cannot see or adjust what the settings are for the memory; these are automatically chosen (by the BIOS) for the memory banks.

With CPU-Z v1.58 it detects (Memory tab) with both CRUCIAL modules in their slots a DRAM frequency of 132,7 MHz, so lower as aspected.

It seems now that with these CRUCIAL memory modules I have to choose between :

- 1GB acting on 200MHz (normal for DDR400)

or 2 GB acting on 133 MHz

Has it something to do with something like impedance of these CRUCIAL memory modules? Is there other memory with lower power consumption available?

The original modules in the laptop were:

1 x Infinneon HYS64D64020HBDL-6-C (512 MB, DDR333 - 2,5V)

1 x Kingmax MSAC22F-D8KT3 (512 MB, DDR333 - 2,5V)

(Both memory slots filled and as expected acting on 167 MHz)

Note: Although the memory runs at a lower speed, it behaves correctly: no fault found Memtest.

I just tried the behaviour with two Transcend TR128MSD64VA modules (1GB, DDR 33), but that didn't work out well: they cause a lot of faults as seen with Memtest, probably because they are 2,6 V modules in stead of 2,5 V. At the same time they also had an identical behaviour: with one module: speed 167 MHz, with two modules 133 MHz)

Bank and Slot Hot Shot

The most important information is the speed of your Front Side Bus (FSB):

The fiollowing table lists the way Intel and AMD calculate their FSB speeds. Also, I am assuming you have an AMD mobo:

Intel Quad Pump there FSB so therefore:

100FSB = 400FSB
133FSB = 533FSB
200FSB = 800FSB

AMD in there case only Double theres so:

100FSB = 200FSB
133FSB = 266FSB
166FSB = 333FSB
200FSB = 400FSB

Standard name Memory clock(MHz)Cycle time[4](ns)I/O bus clock(MHz)Data rate(MT/s)VDDQ(V)Module name Peak transfer rate(MB/s)Timings(CL-tRCD-tRP)
DDR-20010010100200 2.5±0.2 PC-16001600
DDR-266133⅓7.5133⅓266⅔PC-21002133⅓
DDR-333166⅔6166⅔333⅓PC-27002666⅔
DDR-400A
DDR-400B
DDR-400C
20052004002.6±0.1PC-320032002.5-3-3
3-3-3
3-4-4

It looks like your DDR400 is being down-clocked (to DDR266 levels) in the dual channel mode; however, it seems OK in the single channel mode. IMHO, I think you need a BIOS upgrade to fix this one . Hopefully, it is not an issue with your imbedded chipset and/ or your memory controller.

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Kilobyte Kid

Hi Norepli,

Thank you for your message.

As you suggested earlier I've tried out HWInfo 32 to check that the two memorie modules are really identical.

Nice tool! And the memory modules are identical.

The AMD Turion 64 bits processor handles both modules in single channel mode according to the information of HWInfo 32, so not in dual channel mode.

About the bus clock: when one module is used, this is 200 MHz; when 2 modules are used, than it is downclocked to 133 MHz.

As I mentioned before: there is no BIOS update available for this laptop and the present BIOS is very simple: I can not adjust anything myself, it is all done automatically.

So, it seems that there is no solution for this problem?

Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Hello gialte001,

There may be a solution that just hasn't been found yet and the answer may be a setting in the BIOS.

What is your cpu (ie, amd turion 64 MTxx)?

Next, do you have any bios settings that reflect the cpu speed/frequency, integrated memory controller speed, and HT (hyper-transport) speed? If so, please provide those details. Also, please let me know if any of the requested settings are changeable or just read-only.

See my post below.

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Sorry I didn't read your last reply thoroughly enough. I apologize for asking about your bios when you had already told me it was a simple version with no ability to change anything; therefore, I do not have any ideas based on your last reply.