Memory upgrade Problem

Kilobyte Kid

Memory upgrade Problem

Hi,

I have a dual processor Z800 workstation. Recently I added more memory to it. The memory I added is the same model of memory that existed before. When BIOS goes through its POST, I receive the error messages below.

209-Memory Warning Condition (WARN_DQS_Test) detected

Slot CPU1 DIMM5

209-Memory Warning Condition (WARN_DQS_Test) detected

Slot CPU1 DIMM5

209-Memory Warning Condition (rd da dqs) detected

Slot CPU1 DIMM5

203-memory Module Failed Self-test and Failing Rank was diaabled

Slot CPU1 DIMM5

F1:  Boot

After pressing F1, I can log into Windows and use it normally, but if I look at my memory configuration in Windows, it lists 40 rather that 48 G of memory. Obviously BIOS is preventing one 8 G memory module it thinks is bad from being used.

I am sure all the memory is the right type, is in the correct banks, and is seated properly. I have replaced the memory in Slot CPU1 DIMM5 with different memory modules many times, and the error message keeps appearing. Since switching out the memory in DIMM5 doesn't correct the situation, I am wondering if the DIMM5 slot is bad or the CPU is having issues.  Although HP suggests putting the memory in slots 1, 3, and 5, I am thinking of using  2, 4, and 6 to get around the problem with DIMM SLot 5.

Any suggestion on how to proceed would be appreciated.

David

2 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Memory upgrade Problem

Update:

Using Memory Slots 2, 4, and 6 doesn't solve the problem.   In fact, the computer doesn't even boot with this configuration, the power button turns red and flashes, and the system beeps.

Highlighted
Mo Betta Heat Spreada

Re: Memory upgrade Problem

If you get the same error message regardless of which module is in DIMM 5, I would believe it to be something with the slot itself.  If you were to move that module around and the error follow, then we would know it is actually the module.

Dude, Crucial Employee, US
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service