Micron memory rebranded as Crucial. Is that legit?

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Micron memory rebranded as Crucial. Is that legit?

Hello everyone.

This is my first post, so it might be in the wrong place. But I would appreciate if anyone could give me any leads on this.

I just purchased 'Crucial CT102464BF160B 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L 204-Pin' Laptop Memory. It was in an unsealed package, and when I installed in the laptop, it shows up as 'Micron Tech. 16KTF1G64HZ-1G6E1 800.0 MHz (DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800)' memory, manufactured in Oct 2014. The sticker on the stick is for the crucial model. While the speed is the same, and it works (for now), is this normal? And will I be able to avail of Crucial's warranty (or Micron's, if available) if something goes wrong? I'm based in Delhi, India. I have the option of returning it too. Thanks.

Rohit P.

5 Replies
Crucial Employee

Re: Micron memory rebranded as Crucial. Is that legit?

Micron is our parent company, and most of modules are made up of entirely Micron components. It is certainly possible from time to time that a Micron part may be rebranded by us as Crucial, because functionality and component wise we have many MT (Micron parts) and CT (Crucial) which are identical.

Now if you had a Crucial part which was reporting as a Samsung or Hynix part number in the SPD information, that would certainly set off some alarms, otherwise what you have seems entirely reasonable.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for the response.

I am primarily okay with the RAM being from Micron, as it has the same configuration and it works. My doubt is if the Crucial warranty will still be available on this?

I suppose if the rebranding has been done by Crucial itself, it should hold, but may be questionable if someone in the middle is switching labels. Can this be verified, that the memory with this serial number is Micron memory according to Crucial as well, and Crucial warranty will be available? Or does the service centre take a call on this?

(I am attaching an image of the stick itself.)

Micron Ram as Crucial.jpg

Thank you. I hope i'm not being pedantic,

Rohit.

Crucial Employee

As sated, the parts look geniune and there  is no real reason to be suspicous of them, and provided they are geuniune they would fall under our warranty.

It's impossible for us to tell by photos if parts are 100% geniuine. If you want 100% certaintly buy your parts directly from Crucial.com, or a large repultable retailer you can have confidence in.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for the reply.

I suppose there isn't a conclusive way to find out online whether this will be eligible for warranty.

I have nonetheless contacted Crucial customer care in case they can say something, pending which I'll take a call as to keep the memory or return it.

Thank you again for the help.

Rohit.

Highlighted
Binary Boss

Hello Rohit,

As I can see, your modules is a counterfeit product. I am 100% sure of that.

• Crucial have never used such a green color for PCB;
  • The font size on the sticker is bigger comparing with the original one;
  • The PCB was manufactured by TLB Co. Ltd., Korea, but the module was produced in China. This is nonsense. Crucial uses PCBs mainly from GULTECH (WUXI) Electronics Co. Ltd.;
  • From the Module Part Number we can get Die Revision, which is P-die. But if you look at the abbreviated part number of DRAM components, you’ll see that they have Die Revision E;
  • From the first line of the DRAM marking we can get Production Date, it is Week 42, 2014. However, on the module sticker we see that the module was produced on Week 15 of 2018. These DRAM components are too old for such new modules.