Please Inform Me on the Product Condition of This Crucial RAM Product.

Kilobyte Kid

Please Inform Me on the Product Condition of This Crucial RAM Product.

Hello, dear Crucial support staff members,

I'd like ask you about the ram stick I've purchased some time ago.

I ordered and received a Crucial 8GB ram stick from an online seller. And it arrived in the condition shown in the attached picture:

r6NDyyl

It was described as a new product, but as you can see in the picture, it is obviously a 2x8GB(or whichever memory size) k_it with one of both sticks taken out...
And you cannot see it in the picture above, but as expected from the above state, you can see that the upper part of the transparent plastic packaging (with 2 round circles on each ends) is rather crumpled, and has small but apparent openings if you take a look from the side, which tells it had been already opened before my purchase, and is not a brand new item...

It disappointed me a lot, because I have been bothered by several faulty ram sticks in the past, and from such experiences decided to buy only brand new ram products.

So my question is,

- Can this RAM item of mine, by any chance, be considered as being in a new condition, as was touted by the seller? (And in turn, my reasoning above is rather premature? And I should give a second thought to returning it?)

- If I do buy a ram stick (with the same specs as the one I have now and have shown in the attached picture) directly from the Crucial website, will I have a ram stick in a REAL unopened condition?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

And thank you very much for your support and hard work!!

3 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Please Inform Me on the Product Condition of This Crucial RAM Product.

@ballpeed63 Thanks for contacting us today.  I would be happy to help you answer the questions you had about this memory upgrade you purchased and any future purchases. 

@ballpeed63 wrote:

So my question is,

- Can this RAM item of mine, by any chance, be considered as being in a new condition, as was touted by the seller? (And in turn, my reasoning above is rather premature? And I should give a second thought to returning it?)

- If I do buy a ram stick (with the same specs as the one I have now and have shown in the attached picture) directly from the Crucial website, will I have a ram stick in a REAL unopened condition?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

And thank you very much for your support and hard work!!

Depending on the type of vendor you purchased from I could see this still being considered a new item as long as they never used it. Someone may have just purchased the kit, taken the part they needed, and sold the remaining module for whatever reason. Obviously if it came from a store like this, I would venture to guess it was probably used. 

If you purchase a memory module directly from us on our website it will come in a clamshell like the one in the photo, but will certainly be unopened and brand new. Purchasing from our site also gives you the ability to return within 45 days if you run into any issues. We also have a memory advisor tool and system scanner for guaranteed compatible upgrades. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?

Want to enter our contest for December? More info can be found here.
Kilobyte Kid

Dear Crucial_YogiH,

Thank you very much for your response, I appreciate it very much!

And I'm really sorry for taking this long before posting this, but the cell phone I use for my work got broken, so I had to deal with that more urgent issue first (recovering its internal data, etc.) and have not been able to write a proper reply until now.

I sincerely apologize for this delayed, follow-up response/question.

Your post/reply was very informative and helpful, but upon reading it, some more questions came to mind:

If I understand you correctly, if I buy 1EA of the ram stick in question directly from you, I will receive it in an unopened clamshell with only one single hole (as opposed to the clamshell with two holes in the picture I took), in which the ram stick is fitted, this is what you meant to tell me, I presume?

As for my product, I bought it from Amazon product webpage, which is identical to the one linked to on the following page on your Crucial website:
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/wtb?ps-sku=CT102464BF160B

As its packaging state differs from what I would get upon purchasing the same goods directly from Crucial, I guess that buying this product on Amazon is not the same thing as buying it from Crucial's own website - it's not that the same vendor is shipping the same product?
(Please tell me if I'm mistaken, because it would save me the trouble of returning it from ROK to the US, while observing customs regulations, etc.)

Also, after being displeased with its packaging, I verified that the seller is described as Amazon itself, and not some other third-party vendor who sells on Amazon.

Now, Amazon is a rather large online store, and the thing that bothers me is what do they do with the other ram stick they took out from the original unopened clamshell, supposing it is brand-new as advertised, indeed? It is a brand-new product, but once you take it out and separate it from its original clamshell, it does not look so anymore. So it would be more difficult to sell it, and also make them look less trustable when they do it (and the remaining ones like the one I received myself, for that matter).

They also sell 2x8GB ram stick kits on that same product page, so one would normally think that a clamshell like mine should be sold as an 2x8GB kit, being unopened, instead of being once opened and shipped in the state I received it in.

Why create uncertainty, when you can/should avoid it?

Could you please shed some light on what is going on, here?

Would it be better to return it, or trust Amazon?...

Of course, one should normaly contact Amazon to ask about this, but since the product page is directly linked to from your own Crucial website, I thought that asking this here is not inappropriate either, and also that I would be able to get a somewhat more neutral response. Hence my question.

It would be really great to be able to get some insight into this, as my circumsatances somewhat changed - Now, I need 2 more ram sticks like the one I am currently in possession of, to go into my daughter's laptop.

So all the more reason to get some information on the reliability of various distribution channels.

It would be easier and a lot faster to buy those in my own country, namely ROK, but as DDR3 is becoming obsolete now, Crucial DDR3L ram sticks are already out of stock at the retail level in my country, and that other big manufacturer's goods are also difficult to get ahold of as brand-new products, as their supply is quite limited.

Anyways, I'm sorry again for making this post so much long, but I would be really grateful if I could get some more help from you once again. Thank you!!

Best regards.

Kilobyte Kid

Hello again.

It's been some months, or half a year, to be more exact, and I have a follow-up question as for this past thread.

My last question seems to have been considered unworthy of attention, but anyways,

I REALLY hope that dear Crucial support staff members will care to answer my new question this time around, as this involves some matters which have to be cleared up for buying some more crucial RAM parts.

Currently, I'm upgrading RAM for my laptop 'HP 15-AY014TU', which has its compatible upgrades on this Crucial webpage:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/hp-15-ay014tu

And the said webpage lists the following information:

Notes about your system:

Upgrades may need to be performed by an authorized service center.
Your HP - Compaq HP 15-ay014tu
system specs as shipped
memory

Maximum Memory:16GB
    Standard Memory:4GB removable
    Slots:2 (2 banks of 1)

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Nontheless, the reference manual for my laptop model available on the HP's official website states otherwise:

HP Notebook PC (Intel)
* Models: 15-ay000 – 15-ay099
* Models: 15-ay100 – 15-ay199
HP 250 G5 Notebook PC
HP 256 G5 Notebook PC
Maintenance and Service Guide

Product description

HP Notebook PC; Intel 5th and 6th generation and Pentium/
Celeron processors; non-touch models

Two non-customer-accessible/upgradable
memory module slots
DDR3L-1600 dual channel support

Supports up to 12 GB of system RAM in the
following conƭgurations

UMA
5th Gen
Core

● 12288-MB total system memory
(8192×1) + (4096×1) [5th generation
Intel Core models only]
● 8192-MB total system memory
(8192×1) or (4096×2)
● 6144-MB total system memory
(4096×1) + (2048×1)
● 4096-MB total system memory
(4096×1) or (2048×2)
● 2048-MB total system memory
(2048×1)

The official reference manual of my laptop says it supports up to 12GB of memory (8GB + 4GB), but the crucial website states that up to 16GB of memory is supported..

Well... Obviously having only 12GB of memory installed will be safer, so I deem that part of the issue resolved.

Now, I already have ordered a 8GB RAM stick from the above Crucial webpage for my laptop model:

Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM
CT9400088

DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64 •
    upgrade for HP - Compaq HP 15-ay014tu system.

The link for the above RAM part redirects to the following Crucial 'Where to Buy' webpage:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/wtb?ps-sku=CT102464BF160B

which refers to the Amazon item page for 'Crucial 8GB Single DDR3/DDR3L 1600 MT/S (PC3-12800) Unbuffered SODIMM 204-Pin Memory - CT102464BF160B at Amazon.com' I ordered from, last week.

The problem is, I don't know which of the following 4GB memory part models, listed on the above Crucial webpage for my laptop, is best for the other 4GB RAM stick I have yet to order:

Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM
CT9400081

DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V •

(Whose 'Where to Buy' page is http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/wtb?ps-sku=CT51264BF160BJ)

Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM
CT9400101

DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V •

(Whose 'Where to Buy' page is http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/wtb?ps-sku=CT51264BF160B)

They seem to have the same specs according to the above information, so my question is, what are their differences?

Namely,

1) Which one works best with the 8GB RAM stick I've already ordered?

2) (In case there's no difference between them as regards the above question 1),) which one is the superior model?

Best Regards.