RMA experience

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

RMA experience

I have purchased both RAM and SSD products from Crucial for many years but never had to return anything, which is of course great! I have now completed a new PC build and,after much effort in diagnosing a startup issue, decided that 1 stick of RAM is the most likely culprit. I type this as the PC happily continues working on the other stick I purchased but it fires up all kinds of BSODs when the other stick was in place or if the 2 were in place together.

I found the experience of returning the faulty RAM confusing as the first email I received suggested that a new stick would be sent even before the part I had was returned. After a few days I concluded this wasn't the case, despite the Crucial website displaying a replacement part was waiting to be sent to me.

I finally received an email today to say my RMA package had arrived but there is still no word on sending a replacement! I'm wondering whether this is all normal. I realise RAM is only rarely faulty so perhaps they are going to test my stick before agreeing to replace. It's all rather confusing. I would have just expected another part to have been sent immediately with the expectation that if I didn't send my original part back I would be billed for it.

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: RMA experience

@symphony1010 Thanks for contacting us today. I am sorry for the confusion with our return policy. We do require the part to be sent back to us prior to shipping out the replacement. In some cases, third party warranty replacements, we do not have card information on file, so we wouldn't be able to charge the card if the item was not sent back to us. After the item is received it can take a couple days to process the return and ship it back to you. In most cases this is done quicker than a few days. If you would like to PM me your RMA number I would be happy to check and see where in the process your memory may be. 

Best regards, 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Many thanks YogiH. My RMA no is 0042045506. I think the confusing aspect is being sent a link to a product awaiting dispatch and being used to things happening fast. I'm anxious to confirm that it's the RAM at fault and not a slot in my Asus motherboard. I've tried almost everything else! Any help much appreciated!

Kilobyte Kid

Well apparently my memory has now shipped but the email states the cost as if this will be charged. There is no mention of it having been an RMA. 

The main thing is now that it arrives and works of course.

Community Manager

@symphony1010 Thanks for your reply. I show on my end it has completely processed as well. Our email is very generic and is sent when a replacement or new order ships, so I can verify you will not be charged any further shipping costs. Please let us know if you run into any other issues once your replacement arrives. Hopefully it resolves the issue. 

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hi YogiH

Pleased to report that things moved very quickly in the end and my RAM arrived today. I installed it and my first cold boot is absolutely fine. I'm hoping that things will stay that way, in which case that first stick of RAM was defective in some way. The odd things was that I only had errors on startup. If I cleared the CMOS I could start and restarts also passed without incident. My week with only 1 stick saw zero problems. If I encounter any more issues it will almost certainly be a fault in the motherboard.

I feel that Crucial perhaps update their emails around RMA. As I stated, there were many areas of confusion and what one wants to feel above all is that the company is supporting you through the process.

I must repeat, however, that this is my first Crucial RMA. Nothing has ever failed at any time before. Around the house we have at least 4 SSD units and Macs with Crucial RAM besides this PC which is now back to running with 32Gb.

Many thanks for your kind assistance. It's good to know that Crucial have people like yourself being so helpful here in the forum.

Kind regards,

Walter

Community Manager

@symphony1010 Thank you so much for replying. I appreciate you letting me know that you received your RAM and it is working. I will be passing on your feedback about our emails to our management team. Please let us know if have any other questions or concerns about anything. 

Want to be a Super User?