Should I install more RAM to compliment the new Crucial SSD?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Should I install more RAM to compliment the new Crucial SSD?

I just installed a new Crucial 512gb SSD that is working great after driver updates on my Dell XPS 435T/9000.

It increased my overall Windows Experience number from 5.9 to 7.4. The drive transfer rating actually went from 5.9 to 7.7, but the other components are keeping it down to 7.4. Hence my next question.

I am wondering if upgrading my current 9gb of RAM will help overall performance of the machine? I do some video and photo editing. Not too many games.  I currently have 3 banks of Samsung 1gb PC3 8500U memory and 3 banks of Samsung 2gb PC3-8500U memory. 240 pin, I assume.  I believe I can go up to 24 gb of memory on the board. Do I need to replace all the slower memory with newer types, or/and will mixing and matching just make the machine run at the slowest Ram speed? I'm thinking 16gb should be enough, but I'm not the expert. Do I have to buy the memory in some sort of pairs? Since I have 3 banks at 1gb and 3 at 2gb, I'm thinking pairing might not be required.

In any event, I could replace all the memory if it will mean a big difference and just sell the used RAM on Ebay or something. If I could get away with just buying 8 or 12gb in the 1gb slots I'd do that.

You're expert help would be appreciated. I am just so astounded by the SSD I just have to have more!

Thanks again!

Update: Almost forgot to post reference info you guys requested in you FAQ's.

Scan URL

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/scanview/BA8D01DD31D926C3

Tags (4)
5 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Should I install more RAM to compliment the new Crucial SSD?

Hi Montag,

Thanks for contacting us today. If you do some video editing and photo programs it will be worth it to upgrade your RAM a bit. Your board can go up to 24GB, but it sounds like you wouldn't need that much to improve your user experience. You would not need to replace all of the old RAM in your system, however, your new RAM would slow down to meet the speed of the new RAM. The speed difference would be fairly insignificant. Your system does not run in dual channels, so you do not need to install in pairs. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns about upgrading your system. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I used your RAM checker, but a friend said I could also use CT2KIT102464BA160B  which is 16gb kit (8x2) or CT2CP51264BA160B  which is a 8gb kit (4x2). He said sometimes the same part comes under a different number, but I just want to make sure.

Thank  you in advance,

Community Manager

Hi Montag,

Yes, your friend is correct. We often use different part numbers in order to guarantee compatibility with your system. Both of those kits will be compatible with your system Smiley Happy

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you, I will order the Crucial RAM now!

Community Manager

You're welcome. Let us know if you have any other questions that may come up Smiley Happy 

Want to be a Super User?