The memory that “system scanner” suggested, made our laptop unusable.

Kilobyte Kid

The memory that “system scanner” suggested, made our laptop unusable.

Hi,

In order to upgrade an hp G62 laptop, we used the "system scanner" and purchased the 4 GB suggested ram, but after we installed it the laptop won't boot and just keeps restarting.

We used the same memory on another laptop (hp 470 G2 proobok) and the memory worked fine.

So does this mean that the memory that was suggested to us by the "system scanner" is not compatible with our hp G62 laptop ??

Here is the scanner report: http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/scanview/69A418A631D926C3

We would greatly appreciate any support on this matter.

Thank you

6 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: The memory that “system scanner” suggested, made our laptop unusable.

UPDATE:

I followed all of the suggestions (removing the battery from the mainboard for 15 min. – clean the slot – install and reinstall the memory module) but none of them made any difference.

Kilobyte Kid

I am not from Crucial but I still have one or two suggestions. First I'd like to know what your upgraded RAM configuration is. According to the specs your notebook can't go over 8GB. Did you factor that in?

I feel like the notebook might be comptatible with the new RAM but could possibly struggle with the mix of two different modules. Does the it boot if you only insert the new 4GB stick?

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Hi,

The laptop came with two 2 GB memory sticks, so total of 4 GB.

The one I upgraded to is a 4 GB module and I installed by itself.

So, the memory didn’t exceed the 8 GB and there was not mix with any other module.

One thing I noticed is that there is a 1.5 V printed near the memory slot on the motherboard, but the memory I got, based on the “system scanner” is a 1.35 V.

I wonder if that could be the problem.

Kilobyte Kid

So either the notebook doesn't like mixing two different kinds of memory sticks (like 1.5V and 1.35V) or the new stick is incompatible.

Did you try booting the notebook with new the new stick alone?

Kilobyte Kid

Yes I did try with the new memory module alone and also changed slots just in case but it didn't make any difference.

JEDEC Jedi

Does the BIOS/UEFI settings show the new memory properly?   If there are any configurable memory settings in the BIOS/UEFI settings, then make sure they are set to auto.

In the BIOS/UEFI settings, turn on the extended POST as it will perform a very simple memory check during POST.

Is your system firmware up to date?

While booted into Windows, check Event Viewer to look for the error from the time it was rebooting.   I'm guessing it will be a kernel panic.  You may get some information about what is happening from the recorded error.

When Windows fails to boot and you are presented with the advanced boot menu, there may be a diagnostic option which may include a Windows built-in memory test.   Also try booting into Safe Mode from the Windows advanced boot menu  (also accessible by pressing F8 just before Windows starts to load).  If this works, then you likely have a driver issue.   You can also enable Boot Logging to see where things went wrong.   You could also try running Memtest86 or Memtest86+ to see if any errors show up (try with just the original memory as well to make sure these tests are compatible with your laptop).   Also make sure the laptop is unplugged and the battery is removed before installing or removing memory.

While you may have received an incorrect, or incompatible or a defective module, it is also possible you are now finding out your laptop has a latent flaw which is revealed by the larger memory module. 

I suggest you contact Crucial Support directly as they are very pleasant to deal with and they can verify you received the correct part for your laptop and they may offer to exchange it.