Upgrade Dell Latitude E6320 to 16GB RAM

Kilobyte Kid

Upgrade Dell Latitude E6320 to 16GB RAM

According the website my Max Ram is 8GB *Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Would I be able to exceed the manufacturer supported memory to 16GB?

I currently have 8GB installed but need more in order to sucessfully run Avid Pro Tools 2018.

Specs as follows:

OS Name             Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Version                6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Other OS Description     Not Available

OS Manufacturer             Microsoft Corporation

System Name    DELLV1-PC

System Manufacturer    Dell Inc.

System Model   Latitude E6320

System Type      x64-based PC

Processor            Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date          Dell Inc. A04, 11/05/2011

SMBIOS Version               2.6

Windows Directory         C:\Windows

System Directory             C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device        \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Hardware Abstraction Layer        Version = "6.1.7601.24335"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)             8.00 GB

Total Physical Memory  7.88 GB

Available Physical Memory          4.39 GB

Total Virtual Memory     15.8 GB

Available Virtual Memory             12.1 GB

Page File Space 7.88 GB

Thanks

Tags (3)
2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Upgrade Dell Latitude E6320 to 16GB RAM

According to Intel, your CPU should support 16GB total, but it would all depend on how Dell implemented everything on the motherboard.  Some people have claimed other similar Dell systems (E6520)  was able to do so.  However, there is no guarantee from Crucial if it is not compatible.   Crucial does list 8GB modules for the E6520 which either means your laptop cannot support it for some reason or Crucial overlooked it as being compatible.  Regardless, unless an official Crucial representative provides you with the part number and a guarantee of compatibility you will be taking a risk.

If you risk it, I would suggest running Memtest86, Prime95 and the Dell Diagnostic to make sure no issues pop up.

Your BIOS firmware is way out of date.  I recommend you update the BIOS firmware as some later versions do fix some bugs and provide security updates.

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Upgrade Dell Latitude E6320 to 16GB RAM

Thank you very much for your reply. 16GB is pretty expensive. I might not take the risk. I am very much out of my depth here and don't always know who to trust. The guy at the pc shop did tell me something similar and that I might have to replace the motherboard in order to run 16GB.

Thanks.