Bad DDR400 or bad DIMM slots or other

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Bad DDR400 or bad DIMM slots or other

I'm having a strange issue.  I have two 1GB Crucial DDR400 DIMMs.  I was moving a working system to a new case.  Once I moved the new system to the new case I can only get the system to work with one DIMM in it.  As long as I have one DIMM in any slot it tests out fine with MemTest but if I have both DIMMs in any combination of the 3 three slots MemTest fails on test #5 or #6.  Prior to the move I had both DIMMs in the same system and it worked fine.  I'm at a loss to understand what happened.  I cleared CMOS and tried every possible combination to see if I can get them to work together but it always fails with both DIMMS in.  BIOS recoginzes the DIMMs just fine.

Anyone have any ideas?  The DIMMs have to be good I would think because if I have one in the system it tests out fine.  If I have one DIMM in any slot it tests out fine too.  So doesn't that mean that all the DIMM slots are fine?  What could it be?  Bad memory?  Bad DIMM slot?  Can anyone help?  Thanks!

I'm going to re-run all the MemTest tests with one DIMM in a slot then after it completes move the DIMM to the next slot and repeat.  If it passes all tests each time I try it per slot won't that tell me all my slots are good?

4 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Bad DDR400 or bad DIMM slots or other

Well I tried one of the DIMMs in each of the 3 slots for hours and had 0 errors with MemTest.  I'll try the other DIMM in each of the 3 slots today.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi:

@old_dude wrote:

Well I tried one of the DIMMs in each of the 3 slots for hours and had 0 errors with MemTest.  I'll try the other DIMM in each of the 3 slots today.

You did not state what your motherboard make & model was, but because it has 3 slots, I'm wondering if this has an intel 82845x Northbridge. Three slot motherboards usually have some restrictions on which type of memory modules can go into each slot. EG: two sided in slot 1, single sided in slots 2 & 3. Your motherboard manual should have specific instructions on the 3 slot ram arrangement requirements. 

The other thing that CAN happen, is that with certain motherboards, the choice of your mounting hardware can affect whether the board works correctly. Did you use some nylon insulated mounts along with screw mounts in your re-installation?.. Sometimes there are MB mount holes that MUST have a screw in them for grounding purposes. I have also seen cases where one or two screws had to be left out and a nylon spacer used to get a board to work correctly. If you only moved the MB to a new case, I would try to carefully remember how it was mounted in the old case, and duplicate the mounting method . If you can't remember, just try removing one screw at a time and see if it makes a difference.

A frustrating problem .. Good Luck.

Kilobyte Kid

I figured it out.  I tested each 1GB DIMM in each slot for over 4 hours with Memtest.  Zero errors.  So all slots and DIMMs are good.  I remebered that the VIA chipset on my motherboard sucks and that I have to lower memory speed from DDR400 to DDR333.  Once I did that the system has been rock solid ever since.  When I flushed CMOS everything went back to the defaults.  While flushing CMOS was a good troubleshooting step it bit me when I was putting the system back together and trying to use more than 1GB of RAM.

So for anyone else with these types of problems I'd try the same thing.  Flush CMOS.  Test one DIMM in each slot for an extended period of time with Memtest.  If everything passes check your motherboad settings or somewhere else.

Just thought this post might help someone.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi old_dude

I have exactly the same problem with individual 1.0Gb and 0.5Gb DDR400 DIMMS causing no errors on Memtest when running individually, regardless of slot, but causing errors when running together. My MSI MS-6704 motherboard memory bus effective clock is 333MHz.

I have never become involved in "overclocking" and have no wish to do so. I just need an answer to my memory error problems and would like to try what you have done to see if it is the answer.

You say you lowered your memory speed from DDR400 to DDR333 - do you mean you purchased another two sticks of 333 spec and discarded the 400? If not, can you please explain.

You also say you flushed your CMOS. I've heard of this, but wouldn't know how  and in what order to do it or indeed what it achieves. More explanation please would be very helpful.

Regards