CT2CP25664AC667 4gb kit / Late 2008 Macbook - will not boot

Kilobyte Kid

CT2CP25664AC667 4gb kit / Late 2008 Macbook - will not boot

I just purchased a 4gb upgrade kit CT2CP25664AC667 from Amazon, to upgrade my mom's late 2008 Macbook (2.1ghz core2duo gma3100 13" white).

When I install both modules, the computer does not boot. The power light goes on, and it just sits there. No disk activity, no POST, nada..

If I install either one of original 512mb modules (hynix 512MB 1Rx16 PC2-5300-555-12 HYMP164S64CP6-Y5 AB), and either one of the new modules, in any combination, the computer boots, and shows the expected 2.5gb.

Any suggestions?

6 Replies
Community Manager

Re: CT2CP25664AC667 4gb kit / Late 2008 Macbook - will not boot

Hi techie,

Thanks for contacting us today. I am sorry for the issues that you have been experiencing with the upgrade. On the modules themselves there is a part number that should read something like CT25664AC667.16F, etc. What is the part number on the modules?

NVRAM (or PRAM in older Macs) stores settings about your Mac. If you are experiencing issues after a change in memory or hardware, resetting the NVRAM can resolve these.

To reset it, just follow these steps from the Apple Knowledge Base:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Please contact us directly using the information in my signature if you are still experiencing issues.

Best regards,

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I tried resetting nvram at the time, but with the new modules, the macbook simply would not boot or even POST. The only thing that happened when I hit the power button, was the power light came on, and the optical drive whirred for a second, like it was indexing the head.

I will get back with about the part numbers..

Kilobyte Kid

CT25664AC667.C16FH

Crucial Employee

Hi techie,

Thanks for your reply.

I have looked in to this for you and unfortunately that memory is not compatible with your system.  Mac systems are very particular about what memory they can support.  Your system needs 800Mhz memory but the memory you have is 667Mhz. 

You said that you ordered from Amazon I would recommend contacting them and looking for an exchange for the 800Mhz version of the same memory type.  You can see the memory we recommend against your model at the following link:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Apple/macbook-2*13ghz-intel-core-2-duo-%2813-in...

If you have any other questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

You are looking at the wrong model..

This is a MB402LL/A (Macbook 4.1), late 2008. The specs for that model call for 667Mhz (pc2-5300), and as indicated in my first post, the factory supplied modules are 667..

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp5

Bit Baby

I'm having the same issue upgrading my Mom's Mac (it is a 15-inch Early 200 MacBook Pro (A1260))--when I replace the factory DIMMS with CT25664AC667.C16FH DIMMS (also listed as CT2CP5664AC667 on the packaging), at boot the screen stays black and you can hear the DVD/HDD spinning up. There is never a chime.

According to http://support.apple.com/kb/SP4?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US, this compuer takes "2GB (two SO-DIMMs) 667MHz DDR2 memory (PC2-5300)," which these modules are.

I have not yet tried mixing old and new DIMMS.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.