Computer won't reboot after adding RAM

Kilobyte Kid

Computer won't reboot after adding RAM

Have an older Sony VAIO PCG FXA32 laptop (bought in 2001). Runs XP. I only use it for email and occassionaly a word doc and a little surfing. It had 2 128mb RAM cards in the slots that were working but VERY slow. So I bought 2 256mb cards to increase it to a total of 512mb which is the most it will take. I followed the instructions TO THE LETTER on how to remove the old RAM and add the new RAM. When I push the "ON" button in a few seconds tthe SONY logo comes up briefly but thats all it will do. The screen goes black and it stays that way. I tired putting the 2 128mb cards back in and it does the same thing-(remember it WAS working with these two cards before). I have tried moving the old cards around between the slots AND the same with the 2 new cards. No difference. And YES I have followed the insturctions each time. I have also taken it apart to see if there are any loose wires or anything and can't find any. A guy at work said to hit F2 when it starts to boot up so it will go to the BIOS which I did. And the machine went to the BIOS. It recognizes the old RAM or the new RAM according to the screen but I have no idea where to go from here. No matter what I do when I follow the Sony instructions for adding RAM it will NOT boot up after I turn it back on using either the NEW RAM or the OLD RAM. Battery on the hard drive seems to be working too as the clock in the BIOS is running.

And yes I realize I COULD just go buy a new laptop but I like the screen on this one and I would hate to spend a bunch of money when all I use it for is email at work so I don't tie up the work computer.

SO any ideas out there that you folks might have I would appreciate a reply. Thanks

Dean

4 Replies

Re: Computer won't reboot after adding RAM

Hi Dean,

My first thought is that it is down to the modules not being fully seated in the slots.  I know you've followed the instructions and confirmed this, but it is the most common problem when upgrading a laptop.  I would recommend trying installation again.
Try each of the old and new modules again, one at a time in each of the two slots, this will help determine if perhaps there is a fault with one of the modules or one of the slots. As you are installing them, please follow the instructions which can be found at the link below:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/install/sodimm.aspx

Once you align the notches, install at a 45 degree angle and put a bit of pressure on the module so that you hear a click before you slide the module flat into the slot. The gold pins should practically disappear from view once it is fully seated.

The other thing you can try is to boot up in safe mode.  Continuously press F8 on start up and then select 'Safe Mode' from the advanced start up menu.  If it loads into safe mode successfully the problem is down to software or drivers and you would need to make sure you have all of the latest updates for the system.

I hope this helps but please get back to us if you require further support.  Please also confirm the full CT part number from the Crucial label in your reply.

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

OK I have tried as you suggested. Still won't work. When trying to start in Safe Mode nothing happens. I have tried moving all the modules around including putting back in the old modules which DID work prior to trying the NEW ones and still no go. The only thing I can get to happen is when it starts to boot up I hit F2 until the BIOS shows up. It show that it recognizes both the old and the new RAM depending on which is installed but other than that nothing. So its not the screen or I wouldn't be able to see the BIOS. The clock in BIOS works so that tells me its not the internal hard drive battery or whatever its called. It doesn't APPEAR like I've got the modules installed incorrectly because when I push them in all the way and then try to shut them the little "notch" in the side matches up and it will close. Though I will admit one appears to go in slightly farther than the other they BOTH seem to fit and all the holes and notches seem to match up so it will close. Its still puzzling why it DID work with the OLD modules and now it won't work with EITHER new or old. And your other suggesttion about drivers etc--HOW would I check that if I can't get the computer to work? Thanks.

Kilobyte Kid

OK Maulmod or ANYONE I have tried everything AGAIN including F8 to go to Safe Mode. This time doing that it shut the computer off the first time. I restarted it and hit F8 until it SHOULD have gone to safe mode but it didin't. Followed instructions to the letter including pushing the start button once the battery was out to discharge it. All memory modules are in as designed including matching up to all the "notches". If I HAD managed to shove the module any further into the slot then the "notches" wouldn't match and it would not be able to close so the modules APPEAR to be installed correctly. Hitting F2 and going to BIOS tells me it is recognizing ALL new modules as it shows 512mb of RAM which is what I installed. The internal clock is running with correct date and time. I could possibly understand the new modules NOT working because nothing is perfect but the OLD modules now no longer work and they did prior to installing the NEW modules the first time. AND when I insert the OLD modules the BIOS recognizes them. And again I would have no idea how to do the last suggestion Maulmod made about installing drivers etc because THIS computer doesn't work so how would I be able to do that?

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Maulmod--one more thing in ordering this part I had Crucial scan my computer and give me the part number prior to ordering--here is the part number:

CT16M64S4W7E.8TGY

Thanks

Dean