Dell Latitude D620 won't run after RAM install

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Dell Latitude D620 won't run after RAM install

I have two of these refurbished machines that I just purchased. They are running XP pro, on fresh installs. I used the Crucial memory adviser function on the website to order a pair of two GB modules for each machine: 2GB 200 pin SODIMM 256MX64 DDR2 PC2-5300. 

I started by installing them on one of the machines that I hadn't started up yet. This machine had a pair of 512 modules; I replaced both and it wouldn't boot. A couple of LED lights went on for a moment, but then it shut off.  I replaced original modules and it booted up fine.

I went through the windows registration and update processes (99 updates!), ran some more updates and installed windows defender and firefox.  I then tried again to run the new memory; same result.

I tried the other machine, which had a single 1 GB module; same result. I added a 512 from the first computer to that one. It booted up fine and recognized the increased RAM.

Then I did some reading here and went to the dell website and updated the BIOS on both machines. No change. I've lost track of how many times I've taken out the keyboards and removed the covers off the backs. Nothing has made any difference. I'm sure that the modules have been seated firmly; after removing and installing them multiple times they pop in pretty easily.

It seems that this isn't rare for Dell laptops; I found a few other discussions here. Will I be able to run a pair of 2 GB modules at all with these machines?

2 Replies
Crucial Employee

Re: Dell Latitude D620 won't run after RAM install

Hi floating,

Sorry to hear that you are having some issues with your memory upgrade.

Could you confirm the full part numbers of the memory you have from Crucial?  Please include the whole part number including the digits after the full stop on the part number.

We do supply memory for that system and have a good sales record so we know that we do have memory that will work in that system.  It would also be helpful if you could confirm the details about the original memory that's installed in the system.  The details from the sticker on the original memory would be brilliant.

Please also try the new memory modules one at a time in the system to see if they work on their own.

If you need to speak to someone more urgently about this issue please contact our customer service team HERE

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Dell Latitude D620 won't run after RAM install

Sorry, haven't been able to reply. Due to a time crunch, I wasn't able to wait for a turnaround on the sticks that I posted about.  I sent them back and bought memory locally.

I had tried them individually and in pairs, and in either bay, in both computers as well.

I don't doubt that a solution to my problem could have been found, and I'll try crucial again for my next purchase. It just wasn't going to work this time.

Thanks for responding to my post.