Eee PC 900 memory install problem

Bit Baby

Eee PC 900 memory install problem

Hi, I purchased a 2gb memory module for my Eee PC 900 netbook and when I installed it, the PC would not boot.  The module part number is CT25664AC667.M16FJ3.  BTW, if I replace my old module, the pc boots up as usual.  Any help would be appreciated.

-Tom

4 Replies
Bit Baby

Re: Eee PC 900 memory install problem

Is there an answer to this from Crucial? I have an Eee PC 900 and was considering buying part CT826456 to upgrade it to 2GB but I have seen many reports of compatibility issues.

If it involves reinstalling the VGA driver [Windows XP Home] and that is a recognised fix please can this be confirmed?

I tried a 2GB Crucial module from my Eee 701 a few weeks back and had the same symptoms as you Tom. I suspect there is no straightforward answer. I won't order the part if there are doubts as to its reliability in an Eee 900.

Thanks.

Hi mattross,

The part number you have found is the correct and compatible upgrade for your system.  Unfortunately some users have found that this system seems to be a little temperamental when it comes to installing that upgrade and it is not only with Crucial memory.  We have managed to investigate this and provide some solutions which have helped users, however you may also want to check if the manufacturer has any other information.

It does not seem to affect every user so you may find it works perfectly, either way, we'll do what we can to help you resolve it.

Tom, if you could try the steps below and post back with your results it may help mattross with his decision.

Firstly, please make sure that the module is fully seated in the slot.  Although the original goes in and works ok, sometimes a newer module can be a bit stiffer and will require extra pressure to fully click into place.

If this does not help, revert back to the original memory and try the following:

Check that you have the latest version of the BIOS installed.

Try disabling power-saving mode applied to the FSB within the BIOS.

Update the VGA driver as per Katana's instructions here .

I hope this helps but please let us know if you require further support.  

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

Hi,

I've just ordered "CT826456 2GB, 200-pin SODIMM Upgrade for a ASUS Eee PC 900 System" myself... plugged in the RAM and.. Nothing. The power light comes on, the wireless light comes on, the HDD light flickers briefly, and then nothing. No BIOS, no boot, nada.

I've checked the BIOS and there's no option for changing the FSB speeds, only for configuring the various modules of the laptop.

I've always thought by going with a trusted manufacturer directly, on their own recommended upgrades, I'd be safe, but I'm starting to think otherwise!

My system is an EEE PC 900 with ACPI BIOS Revision 906, build date 09/11/08, EC Firmware Version EPC-082.

In fact, scratch that, I've just updated to the latest BIOS 1006. No change.

I don't want to keep sending RAM sticks to and fro, I can't afford that, but I want a 2GB EEE. Is there anything I can do or am I stuck with 1GB? I'm rather annoyed that the recommended Crucial RAM stick doesn't work though!

Thanks for any help!

--

Ian Gledhill

Highlighted
Bit Baby

Same issue here. Won't power up. Exchanged RAM module for a different one, same result. Old memory works fine.

Frankly this unit (the ASUS) has been nothing but a lemon from the get go (have sent it back twice already - this will be time number three and I'm going to ask for an upgrade as the unit has been slow, unresponsive, keyboard issues, and mostly unusable for the 10 months we've owned it. I'm going to try and have it replaced.

I would like to say that Crucial's customer service/tech support was great. I spoke with a wonderful tech (Ki Ki?) who was awesome. For that reason alone I'll continue to buy Crucial products.

We'll see about Asus...