Emachines T6520 won't boot with 2GB of memory

Kilobyte Kid

Emachines T6520 won't boot with 2GB of memory

Hello,

I just tried to upgrade my Emachines T6520 desktop from 1GB (2x512K) to 2GB (2x1GB) using Crucial PC3200 DDR memory part# CT12864Z40B.K16TY

With the both 1GB sticks in, the machine will not boot.  It will boot with either stick by itself or with either 1GB stick combined with a 512K stick.  Just not with both 1GB sticks installed.  Both the crucial website and my manual say that the machine can be upgraded to 2GB. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

Pat

3 Replies

Re: Emachines T6520 won't boot with 2GB of memory

Hello Pat,

With both the new ones, does your computer boot to Safe Mode or to the BIOS, or does it do nothing at all? If you are not seeing any signs of life at all, please scan your computer with one of the new and one of the old modules installed and post a link to the scan results so we can see some more information about your system.

Katana,
US Moderator
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Related problem. Emachine T6410. Attempting same upgrade as Pat. I have same symptoms.  I can boot to BIOS and 2G mem is recognized. Will not open Windows in safe mode or otherwise. Black screen says corrupt config sys file. Replacing original 2X512 or only one Crucial 1G will boot to WindowsXP. Flash and drivers are up to date. I own two other Emach. and upgrades to 2G was no problem.

Bit Baby

I'm also having a problem upgrading my memory. When I installed the 2GB, the video would not work. No signal to the monitor. Switching back to the original memory restored the video.