G5 desktop mac ram upgrade issue

Kilobyte Kid

G5 desktop mac ram upgrade issue

Hi,

I've been through all the trouble-shooting points so this is the last resort! Issue is: new RAM not being recognised.

Machine is Power Mac G5, Dual 2.3Ghz, currently 2 GB (4 x 512) DDR2 SDRAM

Purchased 'Kit of 2 CT25664AA667.16FHZ (part number CT519133) – an upgrade of 8GB.

Have tried everything except the siggested BIOS update. Had wondered if the scanner had got the correct RAM even? Have taken existing RAM out and back in so must be pushing hard enough in regards to that point.

Any help and know issues to look at would be appreciated to troubleshoot before coming back to Crucial to send back the RAM. Thanks for your time in advance!

Lewis

2 Replies
Crucial Employee

Re: G5 desktop mac ram upgrade issue

Hi lewism,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with your memory upgrade.

I have had a look at the part you have ordered and it is the correct memory for that system.  I can see that this system has 8 memory slots in total.  Are you installing the new memory next to any of the existing memory at all?

Apple systems can sometimes look like the memory is fully installed but it needs to be pressed in even harder and can take up to 30lbs of pressure to be installed correctly.  I would recommend trying the memory again in pairs over different paired slots to see if that resolves the issue. 

If you are still having problems then please contact our customer service team here and we can look in to a possible exchange for you.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: G5 desktop mac ram upgrade issue

Thank you for confirming that. Yes, 8 slots, the inner 4 were the ones in use and it seemed like the outer ones weren't working at all for trial and error, but it could always be that they just weren't in tight enough. Will retry on next oppertunity and come to back to you with how it goes, or any other queries.

Thanks again,

Lewis