Have installed 2x 2GB DDR2 SODIMM in my Laptop but then randomly crashes.. Please help!

Kilobyte Kid

Have installed 2x 2GB DDR2 SODIMM in my Laptop but then randomly crashes.. Please help!

I have bought 2x 2GB 200 PIN DDR2 SODIMM PC2-6400 CL6 from Crucial and installed them in my Samsung R60+ which had 2x 512MB(1GB) already installed .

The installation was fine both slotted in perfectly  but upon turning the laptop on it crashed straight away ,so I rebooted it and it started up perfectly and had recognized the full 4GB but after roughly 5-10 minutes it crashed again stating that windows has a problem and will shut down.Upon rebooting again it stated Windows had recovered from a serious error.

Then 20 minutes later it crashed again and this happened time and time again after rebooting and then sometimes my Virus scanner wouldn`t start or it wouldn`t connect to my wireless network... SOOO i`ve put my   2x 512MB back in and low and behold my laptop works perfectly ..

Has anybody else had this issue or have any ideas of what the problem is.. I would be sincerely grateful for your help..

Thanks

1 Reply

Re: Have installed 2x 2GB DDR2 SODIMM in my Laptop but then randomly crashes.. Please help!

Hi dethmart,

We know both slots work ok since the old memory works fine so the first thing to do is to try each of the 2GB modules on their own in the first slot to check for any issues with a particular module.

However, from some of the problems you describe it does sound more software or driver related, particularly if you're having problems with your virus scanner.  To help determine this, try booting up in safe mode.  To do this, hit F8 continuously on boot up and from the advanced start up menu, select safe mode.  If Windows loads successfully then it is most likely third party software or drivers causing problem so you should revert back to the original memory for stability and check the manufacturers' websites for the latest updates.

Please let us know how you get on with the above and also include what Windows version you are running in your reply.

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service