Help - sporadic freezing/BSOD after fitting new RAM to COMPAQ SR1609/Win XP home/AMD Sempron machine

Kilobyte Kid

Help - sporadic freezing/BSOD after fitting new RAM to COMPAQ SR1609/Win XP home/AMD Sempron machine

Hi

After running memory scanner I decided to take the plunge and replace my 512MB RAM (in single slot) to 4 X 1GB RAM (i in each slot).  Some detail from scan.  

• Dual Channel Support:   Yes
  • CPU Manufacturer:  AuthenticAMD
  • CPU Family:  AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+ Model 15, Stepping 2
  • CPU Speed:  1790 MHz
  • My mother board is MSI AMETHYST-M.  No -ECC. Crucial part no CT539991  recommended and bought. (CT12864Z40B.K16TY and BL111BK.K2 are numbers on stickers on RAM itself) )
    New memory recognised strait away and for a couple of hours of light use everything was fine.  However now suffering   sporadic freezes - sometimes whilst starting User account  (egg timer frozen on screen) and sometimes during use (screen freezes, cursor freezes -  noticable shadowing/separation of screen colours (i.e. red/green "shadow" along side black character) - mouse /keyboard has no effect).  Cant access Task Manager so only way to recover is to press and hold the power button.   Re-starts as normal as if nothing had happened (restarts to same browser page).   Computer very stable before the "upgrade ".  Removed RAM from slot 4 as an experiment and now seems to run longer between crashes. Fans, heat sink etc.. all clean.

EDIT now getting BSOD as often as every 15 mins or so well (never ever had one BSOD with my old RAM in the 4 years I've had the machine ).Reverted to old RAM. I'm drawn to the conclusion that  Crucial RAM is rubbish - or is there another explanation? 

Any ideas ?

Thanks for looking

Trev

3 Replies

Re: Help - sporadic freezing/BSOD after fitting new RAM to COMPAQ SR1609/Win XP home/AMD Sempron mac

Hello Trev,

You definitely have the correct memory for your system so it should be fully compatible.

The first thing to do is try each of the new modules on their own in the first slot to check that they are all fully functional.   You can also try each of the slots if possible.

If all of the modules and slots are working then the problem appears to be more software related; you should adjust the virtual memory settings within Windows by following the instructions here .   

Please also ensure that you have the latest version of the BIOS from the manufacturer's website.

I hope this helps!

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
    Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
    I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
    FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
    We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
    Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
    Still need help? Contact Customer Service
    Kilobyte Kid

Re: Help - sporadic freezing/BSOD after fitting new RAM to COMPAQ SR1609/Win XP home/AMD Sempron mac

Followed Maulmod advise about changing virtual memory to 1.5 times physical memory and re-fitted all 4 memory chips . PC wouldn’t boot. Removed chips from slot 3 & 4 – it rebooted ok. I changed Initial and Max virtual memory settings to 3GB (i.e. 1.5 times) and it ran fault free for two weeks. Added 1 chip to slot 3 (changed VM to 4.5GB). This boots and has run for about a week – in that time I’ve had about 10 -12 blue screens – some a few minutes apart some a few hours apart - sometimes when its being used sometimes when just idling – message along these lines “IRQ less or equal”. I havent been present for all the crashes but all the ones I’ve seen have the message 0X0000000A (0X00000000, 0X00000001, 0X00000002, 0X805EE86). If I send error report to Microsoft I always get “Blue screen error caused by device or driver unable to detect the specific devise or driver that caused the problem”. Don’t see how this can be software fault so I have now removed the memory that was in slot 2 and inserted the memory that was in slot 3 (reduced VM setting to 3GB) to try to find out whether fault is with slot or memory. Will post update in a few days.

Trevor

Kilobyte Kid

Right - been running perfectly (but relatively slowly !) for several weeks with 2GB RAM (1GB each slot 1 & 2 with slots 3 & 4 empty). One of the chips in use duing this period had been in slot 3 when I was having regular BSOD so seems that nothing wrong with these 3 chips - seems that either  my board cant cope with 3GB (although Cruial checker said  4 X 1GB would be fine) or something physically wrong with slot 3. How can I find out which ?

Belarc says BIOS is : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.35 09/30/2005. Would updating help and if so how do I safely  update BIOS ? 

Trevor