Macbook crashing after ram upgrade

Bit Baby

Macbook crashing after ram upgrade

Hi.

I installed 4gb (2x 2gb) ram for my macbook. It ran fine for a few hours, then randomly the system froze, the screen went pixelated and a horrible static noise came out the speakers.

The only way to stop it is to take out the battery. Its done this 3 or 4 tims now, after different lenghts of use

I re-sat the ram a couple times to make sure, and i made sure i was de-static'd

I *think* it only happens when its on charge, so maybe something to do with overheating. Also, i was only using low intensity programs, like msn and firefox.

Mac specs below:

Model Name:    MacBook
  Model Identifier:    MacBook4,1
  Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:    2.1 GHz
  Number Of Processors:    1
  Total Number Of Cores:    2
  L2 Cache:    3 MB
  Memory:    4 GB
  Bus Speed:    800 MHz

Memory Slots:

ECC:    Disabled

BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size:    2 GB
  Type:    DDR2 SDRAM
  Speed:    667 MHz
  Manufacturer:    0x2C00000000000000
  Part Number:    0x3136485446323536363448592D3636374731
  Serial Number:    0xE612E6F3

BANK 1/DIMM1:

Size:    2 GB
  Type:    DDR2 SDRAM
  Speed:    667 MHz
  Manufacturer:    0x2C00000000000000
  Part Number:    0x3136485446323536363448592D3636374731
  Serial Number:    0xE612E6E5

If anybody has any idea, it would be much appreciated.

Ta

Tags (1)
3 Replies
Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Re: Macbook crashing after ram upgrade

It's MemTest86+ time. You appear to be having issues with either your memory or controller. Download MemTest, put it on floppy and boot to floppy. Run the program with both sticks inserted. You will probably fail. Take one stick out and retest. If this one passes, pull it out and replace it with the other stick. If they both pass, then your controller is being pushed too much and needs to either be adjusted (voltage) or replaced. Let us know what you find.

Bit Baby

This might be stupid, but i read on another thread that mac's dont have votage adjustment. havent had a chance to run memtest, but the system profiler says both ram's are running ok

Bank and Slot Hot Shot

The system profiler is like Window's Vista performance test. It's horrible to use to troubleshoot hardware issues. You need the right tool for the right job. Get MemTest86+ downloaded and installed onto a floppy. Then boot from that floppy. MemTest86+ runs independantly of any OS, so it gives your real information that isn't skewed by an OS's processes and maximization efforts. As for the voltage, I don't own any Mac PCs, so I can't say for certain how to fix your issue if you can't adjust the BIOS parameters. If you find that your memory is OK, you may end up making a post over at Appleland and seeing what info that can come up with.