Memory Upgrade Nightmare

Bit Baby

Memory Upgrade Nightmare

My friend has a Packard Bell Imedia 1402 which came with 256mb ram. It was slow and struggled a little at times.

She asked me to upgrade it for her so we ordered 2gb of ram from Crucial.

The new ram was installed and the problems started.

With 2 x 1gb sticks in , it got to the Windows screen, then within seconds you saw a blue screen for a millisecond and then the computer restarted itself. This was infinite in a loop.

So i took one of the 1gb sticks out and tried that. It booted up and got to desktop, all looks good.

The computer then worked fine as a computer, but as soon as you started using the browser, the problems returned.

It could be on the 1st site you went on or the 10th, but it would crash and switch off the computer.

Tried Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Opera and Google Chrome, same result.

Tried the one stick in the other slot, same result.

Tried the other stick in both slots, same result.

Put the old 256mb stick back in, works perfectly.

The ram was sent back and replaced by Crucial, exactly the same results.

So no boot at all with 2x1gb in, perfect boot but no browsing with 1x1gb in, perfect boot and browsing with old 256mb in.

It is seriously time consuming now Smiley Sad

Any ideas?

1 Reply
Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Re: Memory Upgrade Nightmare

You didn't note any troubleshooting steps you took minus swapping out the memory. Did you try MemTest86+? Did you adjust your BIOS voltage settings to match the new memory? Have you updated your BIOS version?! In most instances where the issues are like you describe, the voltage settings will need to be adjusted. You aren't getting enough to the memory to stabilize the memory controller. Check your settings. If the voltages are set correctly for the memory, then you can bump it up a little at a time until the controller stabilizes. Note: Do not increase more than 0.2 V total for your system. Example: if your memory is 1.85 V and unstable, adjust it to 1.86 V, then to 1.87 V, then to 1.88 V until it stabilizes and passes MemTest, but not exceeding 2.0 V.