Memory chip won't go in.

Kilobyte Kid

Memory chip won't go in.

I have an iMac Intel core 2, 2 ghz, with 1 GB memory. 667 Mhz, DDR2, SDRAM.

That's what I bought, I think.  The packing list says: Apple iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (20-inch - 667MHZ) System 2GB, DDR2-667 SODIMM MAC.

Not being a 5th grader, I couldn't get the chip in.  By flashlight and squinting, I see that the keyway slot (short side) in the Mac is on the left side.  Holding the chip label-side up and the gold connectors away from me, the keyway slot is on the right (the short side).

Stupidly, prior to the above investigation, I put the chip in upside down and it went in but doesn't show up in the "About This Mac" window.

I need some help!

4 Replies
Crucial Employee

Re: Memory chip won't go in.

HI Tracer,

When installing new memory it actually takes quite a bit of force to be installed correctly.  As long as the cut out on the gold section of the memory module matches with the cut out in the slot you just need to push it in harder.

It can actually take up to 30lbs of pressure to be installed correctly in the system.  So I would recommend trying it again only pushing it in harder this time and it should work no problem at all.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Well, as I mentioned in my original post, that is the problem.

The slot in the Mac is on the left.   The slot on the chip is on the right.

See below:

xxxxx   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (interior of Mac)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   xxxxx (Memory chip)

Now what?

Hi Tracer,

From the description of your system & the part you have bought, you definitely seem to have the correct part.  You mentioned in your first post that you were holding the module label-side up, please note that the labels do not need to face up.  So if you look at your illustration below, if you just flip the module, it should fit in.  Its ok & safe for the label to be facing down- please do not remove it as it voids the warranty.

Try it again, and when installing use Junket's tips above regarding pressure & hopefully it works this time.  If not, let us know the full CT part number on the Crucial module and we can look into it further.

Thanks

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for letting me know that the orientation doesn't matter (right side up, or upside down).

As I mentioned in my first post, I had previously put the memory stick in "upside down", but when I looked in the "About This Mac" window, the second bank showed up as "empty".

Perhaps I hadn't pushed the stick in far enough.  I will try again.