My new RAM does not work at its rated parameters

Kilobyte Kid

My new RAM does not work at its rated parameters

I have bought new Asus P7P55D motherboard, i7 860 CPU, and 4GB RAM kit for it: CT2KIT25664BA1339.

When I started using my new system I immediately experienced random freezes, especially when copying large files but also when completely idle. No BSODs, just freezes where the system would have to be hard reset.

I had not overclocked the system and it was running on all BIOS auto defaults. I did run memtest86+ but it did not find any problems with RAM. Because of that and because I could not imagine that Crucial memory I've used in multiple PC in the last 10 years could be a culprit Í started trying all other things. I thought perhaps Windows 7 with its new drivers could be the problem.

I tried all possible device drivers and BIOS revisions. I disconnected all external and disabled all onboard devices. I re-installed Windows several times. In the end I was left with only mouse, keyboard and GFX card, for which I did not install any drivers. The system continued to freeze. It did it completely random which was very frustrating "to detect" every other day. Sometimes it would work for days, sometimes it would freeze 3 minutes after new start. I tried it with fresh install of XP, Vista and Win7, 32 and 64 bit. Same problem.

The last thing I did was installing Intel Extreme Tuning Utility that came with the motherboard. That utility has 2 modes for stress testing CPU and RAM. I tested CPU and the test was fine. Then I started memory stress test and it failed immediately, after 2 seconds!

I tried LOTS of BIOS parameters tweaking, CPU and RAM voltage increase/decrease without any success. Eventually (after a couple of weeks of struggling with all of that) out of despair I changed memory speed  to 1066 instead of its autodetected 1333.  After that the Intel stress test passed without any problem!....

Is my memory defective or is this memory not supposed to be used at 1333 setting?

-----

Update (1.5 days later):

I have searched through this forum and found another thread that describes my problem perfectly. Now it is clear to me that I am not alone with this. In fact, reading other people comments it seems quite clear that this particular RAM model has widely confirmed problems with P55 chipset.

Here is what others wrote on the newegg.com website:

Doesn't work without underclocking to 1066 with the GByte P55-UD4P. I've been trying to fix my freakin' computer for what seems like an eternity now since I 'upgraded' to an i7 build, including this RAM. When I bought it, there were no reviews here or results in google regarding this and the p55 chipset Smiley Sad I didn't check back here again until I saw one result on google posted on the 10th basically saying what people are mentioning here. I wish it had been available back when I purchased it ... I can run fine on 1066, but otherwise I crash all the time. Argh
Stable after decreasing speed to 1066. Prime95-unstable on two Asus P7P55D Pro motherboards at rated speed of 1333. First time I've had a problem with Crucial. Smiley Sad
Does not work with my p55 motherboad. I have the msi p55-gd65 motherboard. Memory passes memtest with flying colors but when running windows it decides to lock up with the easiest tasks. Continous freezing for no reason.
Wouldn't post with my Gigabyte P55M-UD2 board. Just kept cycling through the power. Very frustrating. It's on the mobo manufacturer's approved memory list, but still won't work.

And it goes on and on...

What can I say? I am very frustrated and disappointed which never happened before when dealing with Crucial components.

Frankly speaking, I do not understand how this memory can STILL be recommended and compatible with P55 boards after so many people have reported huge problems with it? Like others I purchased this RAM for 2 reasons: because Crucial has always been the best for me and because it was recommended by:

a) ASUS

b) Crucial

c) Tom's Hardware (as a super-value RAM for OVERCLOCKING)

If someone (especially someone like Tom's Hardware) recommends this very model for overclocking you would think it runs more than perfect with its default stock settings, which is clearly not the case!

Shame... I always preferred Crucial memory but I am not sure if I do this any more.

I am in a bit of difficult situation. More than a month has passed since I bought this RAM (I only had so much time to do all of that "beta-testing"). I now have product which does not perform as advertised, i.e. running at 1333 + being compatible with my motherboard. I would have no problem having it RMA-ed and replaced but reading all other people's comments it is clear to me that I most likely will end up with exactly the same sort of RAM, since it seems to be a general compatibility problem. Moreover, even if new RAM works OK, I can probably forget about overclocking given my past experience.

So what do we do now? Crucial, it is your call.

4 Replies
Bit Baby

Re: My new RAM does not work at its rated parameters

Tom's Hardware recommended it because, after having several kits in both dual-channel and triple-channel packaging, the RAM has proven itself capable of super-stability and a wide range of frequencies.  If you look at Tom's Hardware's review that you linked, you'll even notice that the RAM was tested on your motherboard, using samples purchased retail from Newegg.

This same RAM has been tested by Tom's on several platforms, including P55, X58, P45, and 790FX.  Tom's Hardware's experience with these modules spans across at least half a dozen kits received from various sources.

The most likely cause for not being able to run these properly on a P55 motherboard is that the builder used the wrong slots.  For P55, the 2nd and 4th slot away from the CPU socket are actually the first two that should be filled.  The same is true of the 2nd, 4th, and 6th slots on X58 motherboards.  This is also opposite of the installation used in earlier motherboards such as P45, X48, X38, P35, P965 etc.  So far as I know, Intel's new architecture (X58 and P55) is the first to require using the 2nd slot, as counted from the CPU, first.  Tom's has found however that it's possible to use the "wrong" slots on some motherboards and still get stability by underclocking, which is most likely what you did.

As for overclocking, Tom's used 1.65V DIMM and 1.30V for the CPU memory controller.  That second voltage setting is key to making the memory controller stable in an overclocked state, and the setting is often refered to as Uncore or VTT in BIOS.

Kilobyte Kid

@Crashman wrote:

... the builder used the wrong slots.  For P55, the 2nd and 4th slot away from the CPU socket are actually the first two that should be filled. .. Tom's has found however that it's possible to use the "wrong" slots on some motherboards and still get stability by underclocking, which is most likely what you did.

That is a very bold assumption about the "builder" and what "he did"!  Let me assure I used the correct slots. Why? Because ASUS P7P55D does not even POST if you try to use 1st and 3rd slot away from the CPU socket. As simple as that...

@Crashman wrote:

As for overclocking, Tom's used 1.65V DIMM and 1.30V for the CPU memory controller.  That second voltage setting is key to making the memory controller stable in an overclocked state, and the setting is often refered to as Uncore or VTT in BIOS.

Thank you for the advice, I suppose. But my problem has nothing to do with overclocking. Or was that a hint that I should be modifying uncore voltage and/or run overclocked in order to run stable at 1333 on a "compatible" and recommended hardware?

I  would like very much to hear from Crucial about this. There is clearly more than one person affected (3 more people posted on this forum and about 12 more people on newegg) . I am personally not saying the memory is faulty or defective, but it is clearly NOT fully compatible with ASUS P7P55D and most likely with more P55 based boards. The only suggestion that came from this forum so far is basically to fiddle with the voltages (see post #7 here) and that is not solving the problem and should NOT be a solution for something that is continued being listed and sold as "compatible".

If there was a note on the description page saying: "Warning: will not run at 1333 with P55 chipset" or "You have to manually adjust your voltages to get it to work as advertised", I would have never bought this RAM!

Kilobyte Kid

Here is another bit of reading, while we are waiting for Crucial's answer:

http://www.alternativerecursion.info/?p=797

According to author of that page, there exist at least two (perhaps more?) different types of memory sold under the same part number. The difference is illustrated in the CPU-Z information about "Manufacturer" and some SPD timinigs are also different. Modules with two labels on them (one says "Micron") and part number CT25664BA1339.16FF are reported to work ok.

Unfortunately my modules do not have such sticker and the last 4 digits if the part number are different ...

Kilobyte Kid

Did anyone ever get an answer from Crucial about this memory and P55 boards like my Asus P7P55D Pro?