New memory for VAIO VGC-RB42G

Kilobyte Kid

New memory for VAIO VGC-RB42G

I just picked up memory for this system...  After installing the memory this computer has froze solid two times when in use... Is it possible that the memory search tool did not detect the correct memory to order... as the machine has not froze when I was only using 1 G of memory...

Qty: 2 CT464128 
Part Number: CT6464Z40B
Price: $21.99
Description: 512MB, 184-pin DIMM Upgrade for a Sony VAIO VGC-RB42G Series System
8 Replies

Re: New memory for VAIO VGC-RB42G

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the upgrade.  I can confirm you definitely have the correct memory for your system so it should be fully compatible.

Does the system detect the full 2GB in the BIOS and Windows?

The first thing to do is to try just the new memory on it's own in the system to see if you get the same problem.  Ensure that the modules are fully seated and that they are in the correct slots for dual channel usage.   

You can also try adjusting the virtual memory settings within Windows, instructions can be found here

Please also check that you have the latest version of the BIOS from the manufacturer's website.

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

I also just upgraded to 4 x 512MB 184-PIN DIMM 64MX64 DDR PC3200 UNBUFF PbFREE now my pc is runnning very slow any suggestions

Mo Betta Heat Spreada

Hello,

What is the full CT part number printed on the modules that you installed?  This number will be printed on the Crucial Sticker.

Dude, Crucial Employee, US
Kilobyte Kid

I installed 4 x(CT6464Z40B) recommended by the computer scan.

Mo Betta Heat Spreada

Hello,

This is only part of the number I am looking for.  I need the number that is printed on the actual modules.  It will be what you provided here, but also with a .XXXX extension.

Kilobyte Kid

.M16FKY

Mo Betta Heat Spreada

Hello,

Thank you for providing this.  The sales history for this part for this specific machine is great.  That being said, lets go through some troubleshooting.  First, have you set your virtual memory?  The rule of thumb for virtual memory is to have the initial size set to the same amount as RAM that you have installed.  In this case 2048.  The maximum size set to about double whatever your RAM memory is.  In this case 4096.

The next thing I would look at is how full is your hard drive?  Please let us know the size of your hard drive and free space available.

Next, have you ever tried booting into safe mode?  If everything runs fine in safe mode, that tells me you have a software related issue, typically a driver.

Next, have you tried running a memory test on the modules?  A popular memory test to download that is free to use, you can download from www.memtest.org

Please give these things a try and let us know the results.

Kilobyte Kid

My hard drive is 250 gb and  has 170 gb available 76% free. I have adjusted the virtual memory to your specs but with no luck. Have rebooted in safe mode a couple of times no problems. You might be right. I also think it might be a software issue. Any suggestions? I'll keep trying different settings hopefully something will work. I just don't think my pc should be running this slow.