Problem with iMac memory

Bit Baby

Problem with iMac memory

My daughter has a 20" iMac, SN YD91224786, Intel Core 2 Duo, iMac 7.1, 800mhz, with 1 GB of ram. Per recommendation of Crucial I purchased 2each 2gb CT2566AC800.K16F (I think, it's hard to read the numbers). Total of 4 GB ram. When I install both 2gb chips the machine will not start. If I install one 2gb chip and the original 1gb chip the computer will boot with this 3gb setup. I have tried changing slots,...every combination possible but it will not boot with 4th. The machine is supposed to recognize 4th of ram. Each chip works fine in either slot, but two will not work together. What could this be?
3 Replies
Crucial Employee

Re: Problem with iMac memory

Hi bp7260,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with your memory upgrade.

There is actually two different versions of that system one that needs 667MHz speed and one that need 800MHz memory.  It looks like your system may need the 667MHz speed to work correctly.

Some iMac systems state that the front side bus speed is 800MHz but the memory bus speed is still 667MHz so your memory would need to match that speed.

Please contact our customer services team at the link below to arrange an exchange.

Customer Service

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hello junket,

I'm facing the same kind of problem. I have an Imac 20" 2 GHz Intel core duo from 2006 with an original 512 Mo 667 MHz DDR2 memory chip, and I wanted to upgrade it in order to install snow leopard. When I scanned it on the crucial scanner, it recommended to me a 2Gb memory stick that I bought (CT25664AC667). Now when I plug it my computer won't boot. I'm I doing something wrong?? Can you help me please.

yvonne

Hi Yvonne,

I'm sorry to hear you are also having issues with your upgrade.  I see you have also been in touch with Customer Service directly and it looks like your system may not be able to support the single 2GB module, you would need to remove the 512MB and install 2x 1GB instead.  Details of how you can return this & order the correct part have been emailed to you but please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thanks

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service