Problems with new memory added to Thinkpad

Kilobyte Kid

Problems with new memory added to Thinkpad

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T60 (2637) running Windows 7 Ultimate with 1x1GB memory.  I ran the Crucial analyizer and purchased an extra 1x2GB (CT517026) memory so I could total 3GB.

My BIOS and Windows 7 both recognize the new memory.  I've done the Windows 7 memory test and everything checks out.  However, Windows 7 is now freezing on me and I have to restart (long hold the power button).  The freezing occurs anywhere from 5 minutes after startup to 1 hour after.  I reseeded the memory, same issue.  I think switched the memory so that the 2GB was in the first slot, and 1GB in the second...same result.  I removed the 2GB and have had no problems.

Any ideas?  Is there some setting in the BIOS (I looked but didn't see anything) or other setting that I need to change?

Thanks,

Eric

4 Replies

Re: Problems with new memory added to Thinkpad

Typically, if a problem begins when a memory module is installed, and stops the moment that module is removed, the part needs to be replaced. Our customer support department can take care of that for you, or you can use the links on our RMA page to request an exchange.

Be sure to use the proper link for your location, and reference this thread so they can see the troubleshooting you have done.

US Customer Service
US Warranty and Returns

UK/EU Customer Service
UK/EU Warranty and Returns

Katana,
US Moderator
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I would agree, however, I removed the old 1gb memory and just have the new 2gb memory and it has been working fine.  So it appears that maybe there's some incapatability between the 2 memory modules.

That is possible, we don't have access to enough information about the old RAM in your system be able to guarantee compatibility with other brands. Fortunately, that's another thing that our Customer Support should be able to help you straighten out if you contact them. With enough information from the labels on the old memory, they may be able to replace the 2GB one for one that matches closer.

Katana,
US Moderator
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Was this problem ever solved.

I just ordered a 2GB RAM (seems like the same part number), hoping it works for me and not make me run into issues like you did. Please let me know,

I am wondering if they two slots have to be matched and the PC wont handle incompatible RAM sizes on its slots (unlike what Crucial says).