Problems with new memory added

Kilobyte Kid

Problems with new memory added

I just purchased memory from crucial and installed yesterday.  I had two 512MB 184 pin DDR PC3200 installed and added two 1024MB 184 pin DDR PC3200 for 3GB RAM.  I instantly had issues with the upgrade-at first it would only reboot and gave system messages alerting me to a change in the system registry in which a copy of sys32was used for the boot.  I went back in and checked my connections and everything looked OK.  I tried reseating the RAM and even switched the positioning of the two sets.  When I tried to go back in, the computer went through a series of unsuccessful boots in which it would automatically restart.  I pressed F8 on one attempt and disabled the automatic restart option.  This resulted in a boot folllowed by a blue screen of death.  I received three BSODs and decided to go to bed and try again the next day.

When I woke up today, I knew I needed to isolate the problem.  I removed the new memory and ran soley on the original set of RAM.  I booted successfully and managed to work online without a hitch.  I shut down, removed the RAM and replaced with the RAM I just purchased.  Instantly, I received the sys32 message again and could not go any further.  Then another blue screen.  I wrote the tech specs down:

STOP:  0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x805D7FCE, 0xACBD28C0, 0x00000000)

I removed the new memory and replaced with the old set.  I suspect the memory is bad; perhaps the cold weather gripping the states right now affected the quality during transit.  Anything I may have overlooked?

2 Replies

Re: Problems with new memory added

Based on the troubleshooting you have done it looks clear to me that the memory needs to be replaced. Please contact our Customer Support department or use the links on our RMA page to request an exchange. Be sure to use the proper link for your location, and reference this thread so they can see the troubleshooting you have done.

US Customer Service
US Warranty and Returns

UK/EU Customer Service
UK/EU Warranty and Returns

Katana,
US Moderator
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Problems with new memory added

Thanks for your reply.

I have contacted crucial.  The gentleman I spoke with suggested a BIOS update and he also suggested I try each stick one at a time.  I ran the update and put the memory in and instantly got a blue screen.  I then took one of the sticks out and was able to boot up and browse the internet.  I swapped memory, booted, and got a blue screen.

So my problem is only in one of the two memory upgrades I received.  I will have to wait until a weekday in order to get the one replaced.

Thanks again for your reply.