RAM upgrade - Can't access BIOS

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

RAM upgrade - Can't access BIOS

Crucial order 24988168

3 x 1GB upgrade for ASUS A7V600-X

Hi

I've just upgraded my RAM as detailed above.

All 3GB is recognised and has speeded up the operation of my PC.

However there are two problems:

I noticed on the first and subsequent boots of the PC that I am not getting any output to the monitor until I see the Windows welcome screen. There is no DOS-like b&w POST information seen onscreen and furthermore, instead of one 'beep', I get 4 beeps - 'dah, dit. dit dit'.  Something not quite right there . . . . . !

Also when I try to play audio music/speech using WMP, iTunes or Spotify I am getting a horrible loud crackling distortion which at times appears to be rhythmic. On occasion there is no interference at all - and then it returns.

Could this be a hardware conflict?  Interestingly web-based audio works fine. Does this provide any clues?!

For this reason I would like to enter the BIOS setup to see if I can find any clues - like the AC97 Audio Controller perhaps?  But I cannot gain access to the BIOS settings. I have tried hitting the 'del' button (as per the ASUS manual) but this just results in the PC hanging.

Do these symptoms ring any bells, please?

The problem with the audio is extremely annoying and not being able to gain access to the BIOS does worry me in itself because if I had a HDD failure I would be unable to boot to my Rescue CD.

I would be very grateful for any help with this problem.

Cheers, Bob J

7 Replies

Re: RAM upgrade - Can't access BIOS

Does everything work normally again if you remove the upgrades and reinstall your old modules? If it does, please try both 1GB modules one at a time, to narrow down which memory module it is that's causing problems.

Please also give us the full CT part numbers from the modules, as well as the outcome of the above, and we can proceed from there.

Katana,
US Moderator
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks replying to my query, Katana.

I have tried installing the new 1GB modules one at a time.

1 & 2 modules = OK

3 modules cause reoccurrence of problem.

I have swopped the modules and sockets around to confirm that each module is OK and that all 3 sockets are OK.

I have the ASUS motherboard manual and this states that 3GB should work.

In fact 3GB is recognised and seems to function properly apart from the audio distortion with WMP etc.

And there is that 4 beep (error indication?) when the PC boots up with the 3x 1GB modules fitted.

Could there be some parameter in the BIOS that I could vary which would properly enable the whole 3GB I wonder?

(I can access the BIOS setup when there are only 2 x 1GB modules installed)

The BIOS version is:

ASUS A7V600-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1006

Thanks for your help, Bob J

This sounds like it might be an issue with your sound card or sound drivers. If you are using a separate sound card I suggest downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website and install them. If you are using the motherboard's onboard sound device you can find the driver on the ASUS website.

Katana,
US Moderator
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I have installed updated drivers for my Creative SB Audigy soundcard.

This seems to have cured the audio distortion problem which I was getting wth the 3GB installed.

However the mystery continues because although the 3GB now appears to be operating satisfactorily I am still getting the apparent error on bootup.  As before there are 4 beeps (dit, pause, dah, dah, dah) instead of the usual 1, and then notably no output to the monitor until the WIndows welcome page appears.  I therefore see no visual indication of an error and as before I cannot get access to the BIOS setup. (with 2GB installed <del> gets into BIOS in normal manner)

'So what?'  if everything appears to work OK?  But something isn't right and there may well be some other problem still to reveal itself to me!   I'd rather step back to 2GB than have some question mark hanging over my system.

Your comments are very welcome.

Kilobyte Kid

Try a clear CMOS

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

-Boitier Thermaltake ARMOR+
-Alimentation Seasonic 850W 80Plus silver
-Carte mère GIGABYTE GA EX58A UD7
-Processeur Intel Core i7 920 @3.36 (Vcore 1.04v)
-Ventirad CPU ZALMAN 9900 LED
-Mémoire OCZ Platinium édition 6Go PC3 12800
-RAID 0 DE 2 SSD Crucial M225 64Go
-HDD Seagate 7200.12 1To
-Carte graphique POV GeForce 9800GT 512
-Lecteur DVD Samsung
-Lecteur - Graveur DVD Samsung
-Combo lecteur Disquettes/Cartes mémoires Scythe
-Ecran LDC ASUS 26"
-Souris RAZER Diamonback 3G
-Clavier RAZER Lycosa Mirror Special Edition
-Ensemble 5.1 Logitech X530 Refresh
-WebCam Logitech PRO 4000
-Imprimante Canon PIXMA IP3000
-Scanner Canon LIDE 60

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
Kilobyte Kid

I have contemplated doing this (clearing CMOS) but - and this is where my limited knowledge in this area rings a warning bell - if I do this the BIOS settings presumably will be re-set to default values and any customisation to the settings will be lost.

When re-booting will the basic hardware configuration of my system be recognised automatically or will I have to manually re-set numerous parameters without which things just won't work? 

I can note all the present settings that I can read in the BIOS settings menu - will this be enough to fully recover the system if the PC refuses to boot?

Maybe I'm just being over-cautious in my ignorance but it seems sensible to ask first!

Kilobyte Kid

I have now cleared the CMOS and I am no longer getting the boot error and things seem to be working OK with all 3GB installed.

Hallelujah! - and thanks for your help!

Hopefully I'll be OK from hereon in . . . . .