Samsung R60 Vista 32bit crashing @ boot with anything over 2Gb

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Samsung R60 Vista 32bit crashing @ boot with anything over 2Gb

Hi,

I am having a problem I understand many people have, but seem to have different solutions.

My laptop is a Samsung R60+ (as per your recommendation tool) w/ Vista 32bit - and I purchased "4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400" and installed them. This laptop "supports up to 4Gb" so expected no problem.

System boots, gets gets practically as far as the windows logo, then after about a half second of BSOD, crashes the boot and process starts again.

The memory sticks appear fine - they work individually (i.e. when only 1x of the 2Gb sticks are installed), however when they are installed together I have the crash.

I am wondering if this is an issue that would require a 64 bit system (as I know its the only way for CPU to address the full 4Gb anyway).

Ive read 32bit OS's should still work though, but only "see" ~3.5Gb.

Anyone know of how to resolve this issue? I dont want to go and buy an x64 OS, to only have the same problem.

29 Replies
Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Re: Samsung R60 Vista 32bit crashing @ boot with anything over 2Gb

Hello alexlord_y2k,

You forgot to include the Crucial part or kit # you purchased. A very important missing piece. Also, I cannot find any support documentation based on the model information you provided. Is there an alternative model number (ie NP-xxxx, etc) on a sticker somewhere on your laptop?

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Hello again,

Making some assumptions, I went ahead and ran your model number through the Crucial Advisor and I found this recommendation here. Now, if you purchased the PC2-6400 kit and your laptop only supports up to the PC2-5300 speed, that could be a problem. Windows can usually recognize the full 4GBs and use 3.xx GBs as you previously described; however, if you add the need for downclocking an unsupported speed into the mix, then that could be your problem.

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Kilobyte Kid

Hi thanks for your quick reply:

Laptop = Samsung R60+, NP-R60Y

Part = CT896625

2 questions re the 6400 vs 5300 speed - firstly, does the compatability of these speeds not get checked when using the Crucial scanner and/or the RAM selector (Manufacturer>series>model); Secondly - do you have to somehow underclock the model by playing with system settings, or would it require sending the memory back for the 5300 memory?

I am struggling to find out if R60+ models of laptop have a compatability issue with 6400 memory. Are you able to see this info? Surely it is a key part of your memory compatability reommendation tools etc..

Thanks again,

Alex

Tags (1)
Kilobyte Kid

Sorry - slight thing to add.

A single stick of the memory does work.... if 6400 isnt compatible, then it wouldnt work outright, right?

Unless its something to do with power perhaps?

Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Hello again alexford_y2k,

Your latest questions and my responses follow in bold blue:

Your 2 questions re the 6400 vs 5300 speed:

Firstly, does the compatibility of these speeds not get checked when using the Crucial scanner and/or the RAM selector (Manufacturer>series>model)?

Since this is a peer-to-peer forum, and I don't have access to the technical interworkings of the scanner, I cannot accurately answer that question; however, I can only tell you that Crucial "guarantees them to work." 

Secondly - do you have to somehow underclock the model by playing with system settings, or would it require sending the memory back for the 5300 memory?

Again, only my opinion, I would never buy a standard RAM module that was "guaranteed to be compatible" and have to make timing adjustments unless that caution (eg, a timing adjustment may be required) was specifically identified as a compatibility requirement for that specific RAM. 

A single stick of the memory does work.... if 6400 isn't compatible, then it wouldn't work outright, right?

I sorta agree that if you have tested each module individually, and they each work at 6400, then the pair should work at 6400; however, given that your new RAM might be above the documented supported speed of your laptop, then all bets are off because nobody can accurately predict how each individual laptop or PC will handle memory that is not natively supported.

Now I know what your next question is going to be so I will answer it in advance of you asking.

From my own buying experience, I have found that Crucial does occasionally recommend RAM that is slightly above the supported specs for the targeted laptop or PC. Why? I'm not sure. So you may want to first verify conclusively whether or not the 6400 speed is supported on your rig and then pose that question to Crucial customer service.

So my recommendation is to RMA that kit if you can't get both "proven good" modules to work as a pair and get the 5300 kit. You should also make note of this thread for their reference as well.

Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

Best regards,

norepli

Kilobyte Kid

Many thanks, you have certainly been helpful norepli.   Ill let you know how I get on, on here.

Sorry one last potentially silly question - what does RMA mean?  Smiley Happy

thanks,

- Alex

norepli wrote:

So my recommendation is to RMA that kit if you can't get both "proven good" modules to work as a pair and get the 5300 kit.

Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Hi,

RMA stands for Return Materials Authorization. You'll get an RMA number which is somewhat like a tracking number for Crucial and you as well.. There is a Request RMA Number link at the bottom of this page here.

Best regards,

norepli

Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Hello again alexlord_y2k,

If/when you are able to establish the RMA process successfully, could you please consider marking this thread as solved so others can benefit from your experience. Now, once you get your new RAM, if any problems surface, you could just open a new thread and make a reference to this one. IMHO, sometimes a thread can just get too long and many people (like myself) are too lazy to read through the whole thing. Just a thought.

Best regards,

norepli

Kilobyte Kid

Yes will do thanks.

Just an important update. The single stick of 2Gb RAM last night showed its first Blue Screen of Death. So even that isnt working properly.

I think your original comment about over speed RAM, maybe working " but all bets" off could be showing itself to be true.

I will be returning the 6400 speed RAM for 5300, and will post if there is success.

Thanks for your help.