Samsung R60 Vista 32bit crashing @ boot with anything over 2Gb

SOLVED
Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Re: Samsung R60 Vista 32bit crashing @ boot with anything over 2Gb

Thank you for that very important update!

Best regards,

norepli

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Kilobyte Kid

Hi.

5300 RAM upgrade is working stable. Samsung R60 plus laptop seems to only support up to this speed. 6400 was unusable with 4Gb (2x 2Gb), unstable with 2Gb (1x2Gb).

5300 no issues. Only 2.5Gb left after using Windows x64 which suprised me as so low, but it still leads to a much improved multitasking experience.

- Alex

Memory Hawg

What do you mean only 2.5GB left with x64? 

Do you mean in task manager you only have 2.5GB left free, or are you seeing that you only have 2.5-3.xGB somewhere else listed as useable?

Kilobyte Kid

Control Panel > System

Installed memory "4.00 Gb (2.75 usable)" is the exact quote it says there.

This is print screen of resource monitor.

Why, does this look too low to you?

Picture1.png

Memory Hawg

Although that image is too small to see fully, yes, that doesn't look correct for a x64bit system!  That is how it looks for 32 bit systems with 4GB.   Can you show us a pic of your system properties (Right click My Computer, properties), thanks!   I believe you, I just want to see it all in one place, system type and memory info.

Did you or someone else set anything in MSConfig / Boot / Advanced Tab? (Windows Key + R, MSConfig)  Maximum Memory should not be set or checked, and normal should be selected in the General tab.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the helsdmads up lsdmeasasp

Properties as you ask below...

My computer.png

I think this is the tab you say...?

Advanced options.png

Memory Hawg

I'll have to wait until a mod approves those images, or gives me mod powers or at least image approval options Smiley Happy

And I'm about to get offline, so I wont be able to answer back until later or tonight.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi, did you get the mod stuff you needed?

Memory Hawg

Sorry, looks like I missed this post the last few days, probably because I replied last so I didn't check to see if anything new had been posted.   Sorry about that!!

Thanks for the images, that's bad news though Smiley Sad  All your memory is not showing up properly for 64bit, it should appear like my image below.   Right click, view image if it's too small to read

This is with 8GB, but you can see what I mean, very small amount shows in hardware reserved, and full total amount shows everywhere else with nothing saying (x.xxGB usable)

You may want to try a clean install, or updating your BIOS first to see if that helps.   You might also want to remove all of the memory, and clean the gold contacts on the memory with some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip or paper towel, let it dry out for a minute, then put it back in and be sure it's all fitted into the laptop properly.

Latest BIOS is here (Version 09YI08YJ) if you want to try that before opening up the laptop again to clean the memory.  And if you do open it up again, test with just a single module one at a time and see if they both show up properly or not.

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=1560330&CDC...

Kilobyte Kid

Hello Guys,

Im having a similar issue to the one above, ive got 2x2gb 6400 installed and running with no issues on the machine but as has now come up i only have 2.75gb useable in my properties as above.

Although i am using windows 7 64bit and as a result cant find a bios for it to flash to try that, any suggestions?.