Tablet PC won't boot following RAM upgrade

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Tablet PC won't boot following RAM upgrade

Hey Guys,

I know this question has been done before - I followed the previous cases but I am still stuck.

I am running a Compaq Tablet PC, TC1100 series.

The factory installed (and not user manageable) RAM is a single 512 MB PC2700 stick, leaving me one slot to work with. 

HP's support literature says I can install a 1GB stick in the free slot, so I went ahead and purchased one.

After installing the new stick of RAM and ensuring it was seated properly, the tablet fails to boot. The power light comes on, and the HDD begins to spin, but about a second later you can hear the HDD stop (same sound as when you power off) and then nothing. I pulled the new stick of RAM out and booted from the factory RAM, and no problems. Then I put the new RAM back in, and again, no love.

I have tried to get into the BIOS with the new RAM installed as I saw from other threads, but no go. (I can get into the BIOS no problem with only the factory RAM using F10).

Is it possible my new RAM is faulty? How would I test if that was the case?

Is there something else I am overlooking?

Thanks.

4 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Tablet PC won't boot following RAM upgrade

Hello,

This system only has one user accessible slot, so troubleshooting is a bit limited.  First, I would check the seating of the memory as this is the most common issue.  When installing the memory, check how much of the gold teeth is showing when the memory is seated.  If you are seeing more than a very small sliver of the gold showing, then the memory is not seated correctly.  If you do only see the small sliver of the gold, I would recommend exchanging the part.

Please contact our Customer Support department or use the links on our RMA page to request an exchange. Be sure to use the proper link for your location, and reference this thread so they can see the troubleshooting you have done.

US Customer Service
US Warranty and Returns

UK/EU Customer Service
UK/EU Warranty and Returns

Guru, Crucial Moderator, US
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

Hi,

I can confirm the memory is fully seated. The slot has a plastic guide which fits into a slot in the ram, which is fully engaged and the two spring lock tabs are engaged also.

It sounds like I need to exchange the part. I am in Canada, do I use the US RMA process in this case?

Yes, if you are in Canada your RMA will go through the US facility. Just request a warranty exchange through either one of these links:

US Customer Service
US Warranty and Returns

Katana,
US Moderator
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

HI,

I followed the RMA process - replacement RAM arrived yesterday and my Tablet is booting perfectly now and recognizing the additional memory. Thanks guys - problem solved.