Will DDR2 PC2-4300 work in my Aspire T671

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Will DDR2 PC2-4300 work in my Aspire T671

Hi.

I have an Acer Aspire T671 Desktop PC currently with 2 x 512MB DDR2 PC2-5300 installed in two of the four available Memory Slots.

I have ran the Crucial Memory scanner wich recommends DDR2 PC2-5300 or 6400.

I already have 2 1GB sticks of DDR2 PC2-4300 so need to know if they will work, and if so should I just place them in the two currently unused slots.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (Service pack 2) 32-bit

Thanks

3 Replies
Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Re: Will DDR2 PC2-4300 work in my Aspire T671

Hello,

According to these specs, the PC4300 should work in your desktop; however, you may notice a very slight degradation in performance. First look at the charts below and I'll explain more afterwards:

What are the DDR2 specifications?

ddr2-specs.jpg

What memory does the T671 support?ddr2-supported.jpg

Notice (from the first chart) that DDR2-4300 is rated at 533MHz.

Notice (from the second chart) that your desktop supports DDR2 533MHz.

So, you should be able to use it; however, if you attempt to use it with your existing DDR2-5300, your BIOS will actually 

decrease the speed of the two DDR2-5300 from 667MHz to 533MHz. This is done so all 4 chips can work together.

And finally, you asked about additional placement (eg, where do they go? In what slots?):

Now, honestly I cannot answer that question for you because I could not find a detailed user's manual for the T671.

The only thing I can suggest is that maybe you have the manual and you can figure it out from here. However, sometimes the mobo slots are "color-coded" and, if so, one matching pair would go into the blue slots and the other matching pair would go into the yellow slots (I just picked those colors for illustration purposes). Personally, I would place the larger 1GB chips in the first pair of slots and the smaller 512s in the second pair of slots.

So, after you are done, and you reboot the first time, your BIOS may/may not flag you to verify the upgrade. However, in any event, you should access your BIOS and make sure that you have any "dual-channel" option enabled if you decide to use all 4 sticks.

Good luck!

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you so very much for you time Norepli.  I will give it a try then later.  Again thank you Smiley Happy

Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Come back and let us know how you make out!

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.