Win 7 hangs on starting windows page after ram upgrade

Kilobyte Kid

Win 7 hangs on starting windows page after ram upgrade

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 that originally came with 2x256mb. After upgrading my computer to Windows 7 32-bit from Windows XP 32-bit, I decided to also upgrade my ram. Windows 7 has been performing fine up until RAM upgrade. 

I ordered 2x1gb ram from crucial.com, part number CT2KIT12864AC667 for both. 

After I installed the 2x1gb's my comp recognized the memory change, and in BIOS showed 2048 mb of RAM installed. and it proceeded to load like normal til it got to the starting windows page (screen before logging into user account with windows logo). I let it run for a significant amount of time but it didn't proceed and continued to hang there.

I then tested out each of the different 1gb cards on their own in each different slot. Both 1gb worked by themselves in either slot, windows loaded normally. My previous old RAM (2x256mb) also still works fine when installed.

Then I tested out one 256mb RAM with one of the 1gb of RAM. Any combination of one 256 and one 1gb in either slot would not load windows, and would hang like before on the starting windows screen.

I ran memory diagnositic test with the 2x1gb installed and no problem could be found.

I am at a loss for what to possibly could be causing this to happen. Is this somehow related to windows 7? any help would be great!

Here is my crucial system scan link: http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=FB724DBA31D926C3

• Maximum Memory Capacity:  2048MB
  • Currently Installed Memory:  1GB
  • Available Memory Slots:  1
  • Total Memory Slots:  2
  • Dual Channel Support:   No
  • CPU Manufacturer:  GenuineIntel
  • CPU Family:  Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.86GHz Model 13, Stepping 8
  • CPU Speed:  1867 MHz
  • Tags (1)
    5 Replies
    Community Manager

Re: Win 7 hangs on starting windows page after ram upgrade

Hello,

Have you tried booting the system to safe mode?  If the system will boot to safe mode fine, this typically means you are having a driver conflict.  This is a rare case, but does happen from time to time.  If this is the case, the fix is to go through your drivers one by one and uninstall and reinstall until the problem goes away.  The other option for this would be do a fresh install of Windows with both of the pieces of memory in the computer so that everything is being built around the new memory.  If this does not solve the issue, please contact us by phone to discuss the issue further.

US Customer Service

UK/EU Customer Service

Guru, Crucial Moderator, US
    FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
    We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
    Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
    Still need help? Contact Customer Service
    Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Another option I would try would be to check your voltages in the BIOS. Change them if needed. Even if the voltages are correct, make sure to Save and Exit, not just Exit. Sometimes the default settings don't get saved correctly when new hardware is checked/installed.

Bit Baby

I have the exact same problem on a Dell XPS 210. I recently installed Windows 7 and the installation wouldn't proceed unless I removed my new 2x2GB sticks (CT25664AA800.M16FJ2) of PC2-6400 RAM. Now that Windows 7 is up and running it won't load properly unless the new RAM is removed. Kind of a bummer. I'm thinking it's a driver problem.

Which drivers should I check, specifically? And where could I get driver updates? Thanks!

Bit Baby

Hi, i had exactly the same problem when upgrading my rams and happened to come across your post when googling ...
    Just wondering is your problem/issue solve? If yes, mind to share your experience of how you solve it?
    Btw, thinking of calling Dell Tech Support for assistance, wonder will they help??!!
    Thanks in advance...
    Bit Baby

Hi, i had exactly the same problem when upgrading my rams and happened to come across your post when googling ...
    Just wondering is your problem/issue solve? If yes, mind to share your experience of how you solve it?
    Btw, thinking of calling Dell Tech Support for assistance, wonder will they help??!!
    Thanks in advance...