Windows Time Clock Losing Time

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Windows Time Clock Losing Time

I upgraded the memory in my computer from Samsung 512MB x 2 (1GB total) 1Rx8 PC2-5300U-555 to  Crucial 1GB x2 (GB total)DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 •  Part # CT1441102. This new Crucial memory is supposed to be a compatible upgrade for an Acer Aspire M1610 according to the Crucial Memory Advisor on the website. Since installing the new memory my windows clock on the lower right corner of the start bar has been losing time. I don't know what is causing this problem. My computer specs are:

Computer: Acer Aspire M1610-U1201A Intel Pentium E2140 Dual Core Processor

Mother Board: F672CR

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

Bios: Phoenix Technologies R01A-A4 Dated 9/20/2007

Memory: Slot 'A0' has 1024 MB    Slot 'A1' has 1024 MB

I did not have this problem before the memory upgrade. I don't believe it is the CMOS battery because the time is correct with the 512 modules installed. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thank you.

4 Replies
Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Re: Windows Time Clock Losing Time

Hello igaituna,

This could be interesting. Is this time loss repeatable when swapping the old and new RAM? Exactly how much time are you losing (ie, 1 minute every hour, 1 minute every 10 minutes, 1 hour every day, etc). Does it actually lose time while your PC is up and running or do you just notice it after turning it on after being off for quite some time?

However, in preparation for a response that would indicate you have not tried to repeat it and you just noticed it after the new RAM was installed, I would suggest the following:

Click on the clock and go to the internet time tab. Make sure your clock is set to auto sync and click "update now." If you get a failing result, pick a different time server from the drop-down menu and repeat. If the update is successful, leave that timeserver as default and test your time accuracy again.

One other distinct possibility is that your CMIOS battery might have gone "flakey" during the upgrade process. You did unplug the tower and took all ESD precuationary measures before attempting the upgrade; yes?

Very interesting... Let us know.

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Kilobyte Kid

Hello norpli,

Thank you for the reply. I took all precautions when installing the new memory (unplugging power cord and static). The computer does not lose time when running. It seems like when I shut down and boot after a little while, the time I shut down would be shown in the Start Bar instead of the correct time. Changing the time on the start bar did no good, same problem. I then went into the CMOS setup when powering on and changed the time to the correct time. This seemed to work. I have shutdown and started up quite a few times to test the results and now the correct time appears on every boot. I don't know if this is a permanent solution but so far it is working. Thanks  

Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Good job! Apparently your BIOS clock got whacked and was probably not working at all and that may be why the Windows clock stopped at the last shutdown time (just a guess). If it happens again, you may have to reflash your BIOS to fix that issue and don't forget to replace that CMOS battery on schedule as well.

Nice job!

norepli

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Hello again,

Could you please consider marking this thread as solved if you feel your issue has been properly addressed?

Thanks,

norepli