0x00000f4 error on M4 64GB

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Re: 0x00000f4 error on M4 64GB

kevindd992002 wrote:

Is this error present with the 128GB version of the Crucial M4 as well?

Across all M4 models. Once it hits around 5000 hours, then it's pretty much done for. Mine had around 4900 hours IIRC. I leave my PC on 24x7 and I bought it in May so that's how it goes.

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Ok. When will be the firmare update fix be released for this?

Silicon Sultan

kevindd992002 wrote:

Ok. When will be the firmare update fix be released for this?

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/0x00000f4-error-on-M4-64GB/m-p/79094#M24083

Bank and Slot Hot Shot

Ok, I've got a question for all 24/7 users who are concerned about data and productivity loss. Have you ever heard of RAID 1?! It's the solution you've probably never knew you needed. If you run a system that has requirements that make data loss unforgiveable, then you should be talking to your IS or IT department about setting up data redundancy through RAID. If you are a home user who is also rightly concerned about data loss, RAID 1 is the answer for you as well. For those of you who cannot use two drives in your system, there are companies in the cloud that do complete backup services for fair prices. In most instances, using RAID for backing up data is ideal for people who can't afford to lose anything. Just a friendly FYI. Smiley Happy

Kilobyte Kid

RAID is not backup. don't be fooled into thinking it is, every day someone learn it the hard way.

if a file gets corrupted it gets corrupted across both drives. if a file gets deleted it gets deleted across both drives. and so on.

Smiley Happy

Kilobyte Kid

I just signed up to subscribe to the firmware update thread and I thought I might as well drop a line in here too.

I woke up this morning and my computer had its first BSOD. I tried to reboot but the BIOS couldn't see the SSD, so I plugged my computer off and on again and it did the trick. I was discussing this with a friend of mine who owns the same drive and he pointed me to a French news website covering the issue - that's how I ended up here. After exactly an hour every software started freezing and within seconds I had that BSOD again.

My Crucial M4 64GB has precisely 5258 hours of on time (I bought it late May 2011) and it runs on firmware 0002 (it's never been updated).

Now I guess I just have to spend the next couple weeks on my laptop (which is a lot more awful than it sounds!).

Kilobyte Kid

I have cloned SSD to my old samsung drive and now I REALLY feel that I have changed my ferrari to opel Smiley Happy

Subscribed to to the firmware update thread and I hope to change all my drives back ASAP.

Kilobyte Kid

I am still running on my SSD.. I have a timer set to 55 minutes so I got 5 minutes to finish what Im doing then I do a hard restart and keep going.. Its really annoying though.. One more week then the new firmware should be out.. Smiley Very Happy
Btw it seems this thread is exploding now, as more and more people who got M4s run up to 5k hours.. In another week its gonna be a ton more people with this issue... Smiley Surprised

I DO hope they make the flashing process simpler for people who dont have an optical drive(like me).. It was a pain to figure out how to make a flash drive bootable with linux(which the firmware update software runs)...

Bit Baby

Does anyone happen to know if the affected M4s are from a specific production batch, or are they just random units from different batches? 

Kilobyte Kid

We have 2 NAS boxes at the office, both with 8x 256GB M4 drives in raid 6 - firmware 0009 does not work (not compatible with Areca 1880 raid controllers) so we run firmware 0002. We have a few thousand hours before this bug hits, but if the new firmware doesn't work with Areca raid controllers, Crucial will be getting them all back... Smiley Sad