128gig M4 not detected by Win7pro installation

Kilobyte Kid

128gig M4 not detected by Win7pro installation

I am not able to install windows7.  no drive is detected after booting from install cd.  It is just an empty area. i can pre install ahci drivers and that stuff but no drive ever shows up to install the OS.

the drive is in the bios, it does appear during boot. I have moved the location of the sata port to every slot i have now. it just will not show up.  It is my 2nd SSd , the first one installed easily.

I have tried at least 25different methods moving the physical location, going from ide to ahci and anything i could read from the hours of searches i had done. 

I did get it to appear and format to become visible in an existing set up so i know it it alive.

i have had it as the only hdd connected along with one odd to run the installation disk. it is still not seen no matter how i configure the bios.

i have a gigabyte ga790xta ud4. which has 6sata II ports and 2 sata3 , i have 8gigs ddr3 1600, gskill which is ok ,i tested. cpu is phenom II 965be and 1 gpu asus  5870.  i have a windows7  64 prof installation disk.

i have tried every kind of suggestion on setting up a new ssd with clean install of windows.  it will not see the single drive. to make sure, i have an unused copy of window7 home premium and another vista64 bit home premium as well and they have the same issue.

i had no trouble with the other crucial 128gig on my other computer which is similar but an 890fx board.

thanks for any ideas

1 Reply
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: 128gig M4 not detected by Win7pro installation

Connect the drive as a secondary drive, and go into disk management.  When in disk management, right click the drive and delete volume.  Leave the drive as unallocated space, and boot to your Windows CD.  See if this helps the drive being detected during the Windows installation.

Guru, Crucial Moderator, US
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service