Are we ever going to get an Opal Revert tool?

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Are we ever going to get an Opal Revert tool?

Is Crucial ever going to release a tool to allow the disabling of Opal mode on the M500 or are we going to be stuck with drives that will always be stuck in that mode if we have the misfortune of enabling it (or having Windows 8.1 enable it without asking)?

Wouldn't that also lead to bricked drives if someone turned on encryption and lost the password/decided they did not want to use a password anymore?

Tags (4)
26 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Are we ever going to get an Opal Revert tool?

Can we RMA a ssd if we cant change it back??

Would that be through crucial or the resseller?

Thanks for any time or effort in replying to my questions.

Kilobyte Kid

Very good question.. I am also very interested in this..

Samsu** drives can have Opal disabled/enabled via theirs Magician Software..

Got 3 Crucial M500 drives atm and I would love someone from Crucial to chime in and let us know what to expect..

Kilobyte Kid

The PSID revert looks to be a minor piece of code IF someone can find the documentation for the session flow and method but alas Google has failed me on this search.

Kilobyte Kid

@mattsmithau wrote:

Can we RMA a ssd if we cant change it back??

Would that be through crucial or the resseller?

Thanks for any time or effort in replying to my questions.

The response I got from Crucial has been, that they will reset the SSD if you RMA it.

Kilobyte Kid

So I would have to send the SSD to crucial (likely at my expense) and wait weeks to get it back just do what a simple piece of software could do in a few seconds Smiley Mad

Kilobyte Kid

@ihatenames wrote:

So I would have to send the SSD to crucial (likely at my expense) and wait weeks to get it back just do what a simple piece of software could do in a few seconds Smiley Mad

Sounds so...

If you bought it directly from Crucial, it is free else you have to pay for the return shipping.

Kilobyte Kid

So glad I've stuck with Windows 7 all along. I just bought two M500s, and when considering Crucial, I was somewhat put off by the lack of utility software like the other manufacturers provide, but I figured the only two things I needed were Secure Erase and a way to force a manual TRIM, and I got the former with Parted Magic and the latter with sdelete -z. Now I'm reading about this Opal issue, and requiring the drive be shipped back would have been a dealbreaker if I had known about it.

Kilobyte Kid

Do you need it today?  I you do PM me and I'll send you an alpha copy of the Opal manager I'm developing. 

If not give it a week or two and I'll do a real alpa release of the this piece while I decide how to handle the PBA.

Like I said a few messages back Google failed me but dumping the admin authority table didn't.  One strange thing is that the PSID printed on the drive is in GUID format with dashes but you have to enter the PSID without the dashes.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi r0m30,

just sent you a pm. I have a copy of the LiteOn and the Samsung Revert tool from the lenovo forums? have you tried to see if they work on the crucial drive? I have tried both but have had no luck removing the trusted_computing DCO from the drive.

I also tried the crucial website and found the ATA-8 command sequence from the drive but trying to find a linux utility to enter the ATA command sequence to initialise the drive. 

Im very new to this so any help or guidance would be so greatly appreciated. If anyone needs links to the above info pls let me know. But im also still learning.. Smiley Happy