BSOD Formatting new M500 480

Kilobyte Kid

BSOD Formatting new M500 480

I bought this drive to replace the 1TB 5400rpm seagate mechanical disk in an otherwise super fast Dell M4800 laptop and which was hampering the overall performance and experience of the laptop. (The os disk is a plextor 256 ssd)
All the reviews are pretty much spot on regarding the speed, especially compared with non-SSD drives, especially loading VMware VMs. During installation I had a big issue, now resolved which hopefully will assist others.

Installation into the M4800 bay was a breeze but did require the spacer that came provided. After booting Windows immediately recognized the drive but I had BSOD when attempting to format the drive. Any subsequent attempts to format or add a drive letter was met with a meaningless and confusing error message about the disk administrator console needing to be refreshed. I deleted the volume, uninstalled the disk a couple of times but to no avail. To cut a long story short I upgraded the Intel Rapid Storage technology driver and software and after rebooting it formatted first time without issue.
One thing I will say is that during the process I contacted both Crucial and Dell. Crucial I must say were (surprisingly) less than useless and could not offer any viable or helpful assistance at all (send back to Amazon!!). Dell on the other hand were pretty **bleep** good to the point of remotely connecting to me and trying various option in real time. I had to go out so had to abandon that session and subsequently found the fix myself but fairly confident Dell would have sorted it as they were starting to look at RST before we ended.

Anyway hopefully Crucial are better than this incident as I had previously heard good things about their support.

7 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: BSOD Formatting new M500 480

Crucial are working on a document about IRST issues I believe.  I suspect it's going to be a little bit tricky because that's actually a driver for your motherboard rather than their drive.  And different systems seem to get on better or worse with different versions so I'm not sure which you could recommend people?

I'm beginning to wonder if the recommendation should be to remove it altogether and recommend the Microsoft AHCI driver.  Then the more experiemental amongst us can try different IRST versions at our discretion. 

I live in hope that Intel will one day make a version of that driver that actually works for everybody. Smiley Very Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I was also wondering whether to just completely uninstall it and would have done had the newer version not worked (12.9.0.1001). TBH I am not really sure what it provides if you only have SSD disk in the system. 

JEDEC Jedi

I think the most important part (but I can be wrong of course) is that those drivers provide and adjust system power management policies. The general description can be found here - http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/rapid-storage-technology.html

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Something else to consider is that if you want to use your M500 as an eDive for Bitlocker hardware encryption, it seems you must avoid any Intel RST driver to date and stick with Microsoft's AHCI driver, unless/until Intel updates their driver to be compatible. That's based on this thread at Lenovo's forums: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T440s-How-to-enable-the-Windows-eDrive-feat...

BTW, that's not specific to the M500; it applies to any eDrive. It's come up elsewhere in this forum, and explains some of the problems some people have experienced trying to get Bitlocker hardware encryption to work. AFAIK, it hasn't been 100% confirmed, but I haven't seen any confirmed reports of anyone getting it working with Intel's driver. Until then, I will personally avoid Intel's RST driver.

For the record, I haven't yet tested eDrive functionality, so I don't have any first hand experience.

Kilobyte Kid

That is interesting. On all my PCs I have W7 Professional which I have found is pretty much the standard throughout the wider commercial and industrial spheres and have always found it pretty strange that bitlocker is not included nor can it be added to the environment it is most likely to be needed/used. To have to get ultimate or enterprise with all the encumbant irrelevant **bleep** to get bitlocker is wierd. Is it the same in W8?

JEDEC Jedi

@clifforama wrote:

Something else to consider is that if you want to use your M500 as an eDive for Bitlocker hardware encryption, it seems you must avoid any Intel RST driver to date and stick with Microsoft's AHCI driver, unless/until Intel updates their driver to be compatible. 

True. TheSSDReview general advise for the typical user is to remain with MSAHCI. The thing is that some SSDs (not necessarily from Crucial) driven by MSAHCI driver can make systems unstable for some users and in those cases Intel RST can be a reliable choice. Also Intel RST can boost the performance significantly for some systems. So it seems it is a question of personal preference and/or particular need Smiley Happy 

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

As far as I can see BitLocker is available in Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Enterprise.

Want to be a Super User?