BX100 Always Shows as " The drive is currently busy performing an operation."

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

BX100 Always Shows as " The drive is currently busy performing an operation."

In the Storage Executive, my new BX100 always shows up as  "The drive is currently busy performing an operation."

I've tried rebooting, I've uninstalled / installed Storage Executive (v 3.20), nothing changes.  I let it sit for a few hours, and no change.

Any ideas?

Windows 7 x64.

14 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: BX100 Always Shows as " The drive is currently busy performing an operation."

OK, I hooked it up to my second computer, and it shows the drive as in good health.  So I don't think anything is wrong with the drive.

Any ideas on how I might figure out what's wrong with the computer?  I tried starting it in Safe Mode and checking, and it's still "busy".

JEDEC Jedi

Re: BX100 Always Shows as " The drive is currently busy performing an operation."

What are motherboard/laptop models of both of your systems, the one in which the Storage Executive is always busy and the second one in which SE works properly?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Both machines are very similar, both motherboards are ASUS M5A88-M. 

I'm away from home for a few days, but when I get back I was thinking of going through the BIOS settings of both, to make sure at least they are all set to what the working one has.

JEDEC Jedi

If both motherboards are the same and both run Windows 7 x64 I would check BIOS versionand BIOS settings maybe, as you have suggested, and the version of storage driver, you can check it with Device manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers -> right click on the selected controller -> Properties -> Driver tab

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks, I'll look at the controller driver, too.

I'll post results.

Kilobyte Kid

Ok, I checked the disk controller driver.  The machine that worked has the ones that come with Windows, while the one that doesn't work has the one from AMD (it's an AMD chipset).

I deleted it, let Windows use it's default, and it now works.

Thanks for the help!

JEDEC Jedi

So it was a driver thing, that is interesting. I think it is possible the same as with some older Intel driver, some older AMD drivers may have some problems with these modern drives. Have you noted what AMD driver version you have had uninstalled? I wonder if there is some newer version that could possibly work with Storage Executive. Anyway it is good to hear it is working for you now Smiley Happy

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I thought about capturing that info, but only after I had uninstalled.  Oh, well.

(It probably was the driver that comes with the Motherboard, in AMD_Chipset_V13254_51010008_XPVISTAWIN7.zip)

Bit Baby

In Windows 10, Crucial Storage Executive fails in the same manner

The drive is currently busy performing an operation.

with the latest version (release date 7/29/2015) of the AMD chipset drivers

amd-catalyst-15.7.1-sb-sata-ahci-win10-win8.1-win7.exe

I am unable to use the Microsoft AHCI SATA driver that ships with Windows 10 as it is incompatible with my Crucial MX100 SSD (CT512MX100SSD1). The Microsoft driver causes the Crucial SSD to hang within a few minutes of operation. If Task Manager is open disk activity becomes stuck at 100% when the hang occurs. The Crucial SSD operates reliably only with the "AMD SATA controller" driver.