Can't Initialize my MX200

Kilobyte Kid

Can't Initialize my MX200

I recently bought the MX200 250GB mSATA to install the OS on there for my M14x R2 Alienware. I had a 32GB mSATA in the m14x before and I was able to install windows on there. Obviously 32GB isn't enough to run an OS off of without making a mess. I bought this drive to do the same thing but with more space but I can't even get the drive Initialized. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

disk.png

Initialize.pngio error.png

8 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Can't Initialize my MX200

It should be possible to initliase it.

Though on the other hand, you shouldn't be doing so to use the disk as an OS drive so it might not be an issue!  You only need to initialise it to use it as a data drive.  If you're using it as an OS disk, Windows setup (or your cloning software) will sort it out for you.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

When I try to install windows on it it tells me that there is still an I/O error and to check in the bios. The only option I have is to set the mSATA to RAID, AHCI, or ATA. I keep it on AHCI, but I tried the others just to see if they would work.

JEDEC Jedi

Do you have another computer to try it on?  A laptop or something?  An I/O Error is typically something kind of physical.  It could actually be a faulty drive so if we could try it another computer.

If not, it could be worth trying a different sata cable and sata port in case it's a connection eproblem.

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

I would check for BIOS update. Have you installed chipset driver and SATA driver from Dell support page?

Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Just installed a brand new MX200, firmware is up to date, and am getting the same error.  The comments on this thread aren't helping - of course you have to initialize a data drive in windows before use. And that is where I am getting the same error.

Does Micron monitor this board or do we just send back drives?

JEDEC Jedi

Please post more details. What is your motherboard/laptop model? Could you read out and post SMART data of the drive - you could do this with CrystalDiskInfo, use 'Edit > Copy' option, just please remove drive's serial number.

Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Laptop is a Dell M6800 - windows 7 pro, all drivers up to date.  I moved drive to other laptop, a Dell M6400, using external SATA cable. Drive was recognized and initialized and formated.  Tried copying data and it has been freezing and dropping off the system repeatedly.  I was going to use this as my main data drive, but as this is a system that I need to depend upon for daily work, I am giving up on this drive.  will be ensuring it is blank and returning it to Amazon by end of week as defective - it is days old, and should not be this much trouble.

As for posting technical information - not possible now as I am beyond that, but firmware was uptodate, all drivers uptodate, and windows uptodate, so ????

JEDEC Jedi

So, I was going to mention about the drivers, BIOS perhaps, but they were apparently up-to-date. I can see there are recent drivers on dell site so most likely that was not a drivers issue. SMART data can also be useful sometimes but since you are returning the drive there is no major reason to discuss it I guess.

Want to be a Super User?