Cloning with Carbon Copy Cloner

Kilobyte Kid

Cloning with Carbon Copy Cloner

Im in the process of buying a SSD m4 512Gb for my MacBook Pro 13' mid 2010 but I would like to know what is the best way to clone my OS from the old HD to the new SSD. Crucial Kit use SuperDuper that comes in the supplied CD and according with the explanation in the instructions in one of the videos here, you must start your computer with the new SSD connected with the cable Sata-USB to the port. But I have heard Carbon Copy Cloner is better because it will clone also the restore partition of the OS. I have CCC in my system so maybe I can clone directly from the HD inside the computer to the new SSD connected with the cable to the USB port. Im not so professional with computers so I need a good advice. So please, tell me which is the best way to clone? 

1 Reply
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Cloning with Carbon Copy Cloner

I use CCC in addition to Migration Assistant (choosing always to restore from a Time Machine backup rather than the OS drive itself).  From what I've found and what other threads / forums seem to confirm, it's best to install the OS from scratch and then during initial setup choose to copy data from a TM backup.  This method is just as effective as a clone and from experience it's more reliable (for an OS, at any rate).

I fully support CCC and think that it's great software, and I use it without hesitation when cloning raw data.  But when it comes to OS-level copy, migrating from Time Machine is great.  This didn't always used to be the case, but Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion all work seamlessly and without issue for the most part (the exception is migrating an older OS with unsupported applications / startup items / login items to a newer OS, or migrating a user account that is already corrupt in some way).  Apple knows what they're doing - you might as well use the tools they provide as part of their systems.

It should also be noted that I have used the Crucial SATA-to-USB connector that comes in the kit, but have not used the supplied software.  Not that I don't trust Crucial (all drives and RAM I have bear their logo), but once you find desired results with software of this nature there's no point in testing others.

If you don't have or use Time Machine, then I recommend you start.  If you're paranoid about your data (like me), you'll keep a Time Machine backup in addition to a CCC backup, and maybe even one on RAID storage.  Smiley Happy