Confused! Storage Exec & Intel Rapid Storage Tech & Performance

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Confused! Storage Exec & Intel Rapid Storage Tech & Performance

Am I supposed to use Intel Rapid Storage Tech on bootup along with Crucial Storage Exec?  Is Storage supposed to load on boot up? Right now it isn't listed in my startup. When I manually execute it, it seems to work. Not sure what it does. I used AS SSD Benchmark with Storage Exec loaded and not loaded. I didn't have Intel's Rapid Storage program boot up as I normally do. I have attached pictures of the Benchmark with and without Storage Exec and the last is the information on my drive as shown by Storage Exec in my browser.

I am totally confused. Does Storage Exec take the place of Intel's RST, or does it compliment it? Do I need to boot up Intel's RST and/or Storage Exec? Why isn't Storage Exec booting up automatically?

I am running a machine that only has SATA II, are my measurements what they are supposed to be?

Sorry for the questions, but I am thoroughly lost in the sauce here! Thanks for any and all help...

Regards!

Without Storage Exec Running

MX100 ASD Performance.JPG 

With Storage Exec Running

Crucial MX100 With Storage Executive.JPG

Storage Exec Display after manually starting it...

Storage Exec Readings.jpg

9 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Confused! Storage Exec & Intel Rapid Storage Tech & Performance

IRST and Storage Exec are different things. One doesn't replacxe the other.

IRST is the driver for your sata ports on your motherboard and has little do with the actual drive on the end of the sata cable.  It also includes software that allows you to configure drive features controlled by the motherboard such as RAID and power management.  The driver would always be loading.  Whether the software loads is optional - but recommended if you have RAID to monitor its health.

Storage Exec are tools by Crucial to allow you to carry out certain drive specific tasks.  They aren't a driver (drives don't have drivers) and so are optional and don't need to be loaded when not in use.  Features include SMART diagnostics, updating the firmware and wiping the drive.  A feature of the latest version is the Momentum cache feature which installs itself as a Windows service which runs independently of Storage Exec itself so SE doesn't even need to be runnign for that to work.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Targetbsp,

Thanks for the explanation. I assumed some of the things you mentioned, but wasn't sure.

Any comments on the performance stats? Way below what some of the other people are posting. Sometimes by a factor of 100! I know I'm only using SATA II, but holy moly...

Regards....

JEDEC Jedi

Nothing there is a factor of a 100 out.  Unless you've been comparing to a benchmark using the Momentum cache which you don't look to have enabled.  And that would effectively mean you're comparing your drive to someone elses RAM speed (as that's all a drive cache really is)

260MB/sec is as fast as sata 2 goes.  The 4k reads are a touch low - likley due to power saving features. Is it a laptop?

The difference in 4k writes between the benchmarks are most likley cause the drive was busy doing something the first time., Drive benching isn't an exact science!  Storage Exec won't affect the benchmarks.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Targetbsp,

I've notice some people's score in Crucial Executive is around 30000 or so. Mine was around 500.

I am using a desktop, actually. A bit dated, but I've upgraded a few things to try and keep it working. I have the power setting at maximum performance. My data drive is a WD Black 7200 RPM. It was the latest and greatest at the time.

I guess I've squeezed out every bit of performance out of this desktop I can.

Thank you again for your help!

JEDEC Jedi

@Montag wrote:

Targetbsp,

I've notice some people's score in Crucial Executive is around 30000 or so. Mine was around 500.

Then those people were using the Momentum RAM Cache, not the drive, to get those scores.  Bottom left of Storage Exec

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Targetbsp,

I installed Momentum cache and ran the speed test. I've attached a copy of the results here. Do they look Kosher to you?

Momentum Cache Enabled.JPG

JEDEC Jedi

It depends what you mean by kosher. I mean at this point it is effectively testing your ram speed rather than your drive speed so it'd depend how fast your RAM is.  The SSD itself would have little bearing on the results.  You could have a floppy disk at the other end of the ram cache and get similar results.  Your earlier benchmarks are the actual drive performance.  This new one will apply to anything that makes it to the cache (typically something you're reloading).

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

So Crucial Momentum is essentially a Ram Disk and has nothing to do with the SSD?

@targetbsp wrote:

It depends what you mean by kosher. I mean at this point it is effectively testing your ram speed rather than your drive speed so it'd depend how fast your RAM is.  The SSD itself would have little bearing on the results.  You could have a floppy disk at the other end of the ram cache and get similar results.  Your earlier benchmarks are the actual drive performance.  This new one will apply to anything that makes it to the cache (typically something you're reloading).

JEDEC Jedi

A ram disk is usually user managed. You would put in it what you want to be fast.

A cache is automated.  Some code works out what best to put there to speed things up.  There are already many caching solutions throughout your computer: hardware ones on the CPU, on the drives themselves, Windows has a drive cache itself.  This is just another to add to the mix.

Want to be a Super User?