Crucial M4 256GB BSOD

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Crucial M4 256GB BSOD

Hi all,

I started trying to debug my issues using the BSOD errors and trying fixes for various "irq not equal" or ntoskrnl.exe crashes but with no luck. It also seemed weird to me as even though the supposed cause of the BSOD can be one of quite a few things the pattern in which they happen seemed too predictable to me and then i found threads about the M4 BSODs. I have read through  a few of the other posts regarding this but my issue seems to be similar but not the same. Everyone else was getting the BSOD after about 5000 hours of uptime and then it would reoccur on the hour after that. Mine only started recently, maybe 3 months ago but I have been living with it using a workaround.

After I power on the PC and start using it, after about 5 minutes it will bluescreen. If I then hold the power button down to do a hard shutdown while the PC is on the "saving info to disk" screen and then power it up again it will no longer BSOD for that time it is on. After powering it off cleanly this process will repeat. I believe I have already upgraded to the latest firmware but this has not resolved the issue. Any ideas?

Also I have updated all drivers, reinstalled several times, including one time where i didn't install any other programs other than the base OS and Chrome to see if it continued, tried with a few different random pairs of only 4GB of my RAM installed until it happened again, Tried with only the M4 system disk connected to the motherboard. Nothing has seemed to work.

Crystaldisk info:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9paojr7xvkrc97/crystaldisk%20info.txt?dl=0 

CPUZ Info:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/80my2yiy8g3s23n/cpuz%20info.txt?dl=0

BSOD Info:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kbdik44q0fnzm9w/Crash%20List.html?dl=0

Really sorry if this is unrelated to Crucial, just got my hopes up when I saw the firmware upgrade notes for my HDD and thought I had it sorted :/

Cheers

Andy

13 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial M4 256GB BSOD

The smart data for the M4 looks fine.

Have you tried updating your video card driver?  You have a variety of errors there but amongst your most recent are the Nvidia driver and DirectX crashing.  As well as a lot of (DRIVER_)IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have Smiley Sad that is one of the first things i did. I went though a whole range of older WHQL driver versions to see if a update caused the instability. Currently I have the most up to date driver for the GPU.

SODIMM Sherpa

Kilobyte Kid

Sure thing, I have updated the initial post with the up to date cpuz link

SODIMM Sherpa

Kilobyte Kid

Hey,

Apologies for the late reply. Been away a couple days. Here is what i have in the BIOS for everywere it mentioned a voltage, line break for a different page in the BIOS:

Profile DDR Voltage = 1.5V

Profile QPI Voltage = 1.175V

Vcore = 1.248V

DRAM Voltage = 1.520

CPU Vcore = 1.28750V

QPI/Vtt Voltage = 1.175

CPU PLL - 1.800V

PCIE = 1.500V

QPI PLL - 1.100V

IOH Core = 1.100V

ICH I/O = 1.500V

ICH Core = 1.100V

DRAM Voltage = 1.500V

DRAM Termination 0.750V

Ch-A Data VRef. = 0.750V

Ch-B Data VRef. = 0.750V

Ch-C Data VRef. = 0.750V

Ch-A Address VRef. = 0.750V

Ch-B Address VRef. = 0.750V

Ch-C Address VRef. = 0.750V

Vcore = 1.268V

DDR15V = 1.520V

+3.3V = 3.344V

+5V - 5.026V

VTTD = 1.200V

+12V - 12.048V

JEDEC Jedi

What is your motherboard model? CrystalDiskInfo seems to show that you have SATA3 port available but the M4 is connected to SATA2 port... What mode is it operating in, AHCI/IDE? Have you installed any Intel Matrix/Storage driver or chipset driver?

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hey,

The motherboard is a Gigabyte X58A-OC. You were right about the port, I must have connected the wrong one back one of the time I have been messing with this, It's swapped to the SATA3 now. It's in AHCI mode.

I have:

Intel(r) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller in device manager
Intel Rapid Storage Technology in running programs on the start bar
Intel Rapid Storage Technology and Intel(R) Control Center in the Programs and Features list in the Control Panel

JEDEC Jedi

This motherboard has Intel SATA2 ports and Marvell SATA3 ports. Since you have swapped to Marvell controller now you can try to leave the drive this way to check if the system would be BSODs free. 

I was wondering what Intel driver is in use, you can check the version with Device manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers -> right click on the selected controller -> Properties -> Driver tab

Want to be a Super User?