Crucial M500 240 GB weird behavior: extremely slow boot performances or simply can't boot

Kilobyte Kid

Crucial M500 240 GB weird behavior: extremely slow boot performances or simply can't boot

Hello everybody,

I'm basically a new user, so, in case I missed something or I should deliver more details about me/my laptop just tell me.

Thing is that I bought a brand new Crucial SSD about one month ago and replaced my laptop original 5400 rpm Hitachi HDD with it.

Apparently everything works just fine (suspension mode as well, most of the times) except from booting the system up when switched off. It could sometimes take minutes, when I'm lucky, or simply endless time: completely stuck on the windows logo screen.

I'm really struggling to find the reason for that: in the meanwhile I'm kinda working around it by simply NEVER shutting the system down. But this cannot work forever.

-I did a clean install.

- AHCI enabled

-System: Samsung NP530U3C-A05DE with 6 GB RAM, 24 GB express-cache by SanDisk (which I'm using as extra drive, so I basically did not install any ExpressCache software)  and Core i5 3317U

-SSd originally came with latest available firmware on (MU05)

-Intel Rapid Storage driver (12.8.0.1016) installed (This is the one suggested by Samsung Spftware Update, which I tried to upgrade but failed since Intel keeps telling my system is not supported).

Here are few Benchmarks.

as-ssd-bench Crucial_CT240M50 21.11.2014 19-02-20.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 264.325 MB/s
Sequential Write : 242.670 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 243.450 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 213.818 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 14.612 MB/s [ 3567.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 25.261 MB/s [ 6167.1 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 218.346 MB/s [ 53307.1 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 179.065 MB/s [ 43717.0 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 55.6% (124.1/223.2 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2014/11/21 19:09:24

Edit:

Last night I performed Some HD Tune Pro benchmarks.

22-novembre-2014_02-52.png

Thanks for the support, really hope you can help me!

5 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Crucial M500 240 GB weird behavior: extremely slow boot performances or simply can't boot

Anyone willing to help?

PLEASE!!Smiley Sad

JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial M500 240 GB weird behavior: extremely slow boot performances or simply can't boot

The drive speed in your benchmarks is quick enough to suggest the drive physical speed isn't your issue*.  It's some sort of software/configuration issue.

Did you clone an already working Windows install or clean install it?

Misconfigured network drivers/settings can kill windows boot up time.

Is there anything in event viewer that gives any clue as to what the problem is?

*I'm assuming the computer is sata 2 - because that's the speed it's doing.  And there are tweaks you could make to boost the 4k performance at the cost of battery life but these won't help with your issue so aren't worth worrying about now.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

First, thanks a lot for you rkind reply.

I actually found out that this laptop has got an hybrid SATA 3/SATA 2 configuration, despite what Samsung claims: basically, first one is referred to the built-in Express Cache module while the other is left for the original HDD.

Thanks for pointing that out.

-I did a clean install

-Here is what my Event Viewer is reporting (sorry for the language, hope it's clear enough otherwise please tell me):

Cattura1.PNG

Cattura1.PNG

JEDEC Jedi

Sorry, I can't tell much form the screenshots.  I'm not that experienced at using event viewer really!  This might help? http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/use-windows-7-event-viewer-to-track-down-issues-...

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Well, thanks.

It kinda helped me figuring out how many errors occured since the last W8.1 installation.

I'll see what I can do wit that, though it seems having no problems at all now. Actually, a couple of days ago I tried to fix it up by disabling cache writing on SSD properties (local disk-->properties-->hardware-->properties-->change settings), clicking OK, then re-enable it and clicking OK again.

I honestly don't know what's the point for that, still I noticed surfing randomly on the web that people managed to solve it this way.

Hope it will help!

I'll keep you updated btw.