Crucial M500 240GB mSATA Internal SSD BSOD when formatted as logical drive

Kilobyte Kid

Crucial M500 240GB mSATA Internal SSD BSOD when formatted as logical drive

Hi everyone,

I have a clevo W370ST laptop with an OCZ vertex 4 SSD as boot drive, and a Seagate 750gb secondary HDD.

I noticed I have a spare slot for an mSATA card, so just installed a crucial M500 into it.

All my experiences with HDD/SSDs have been good and super simple, so this has vexed me a bit...

Initially, I used acronis (as I had it installed) to create the disk and partition as a logical drive, as I intend to only use it to seperate games from the 750gb mechanical drive.

The system BSOD'd with the error:

IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE
0000000x4A

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardwar...(v=vs.85).aspx

so I rebooted, did the process again, and got the same error. The mSATA drive shows up in the BIOS fine, and obviously shows up in acronis.

After this, I  decided to use windows disk management, in case something was up with acronis. I deleted the partition and started again. This time, i got through the wizard, assigned drive letter, quick format etc. and got the same BSOD.

At no point did the drive show up in windows 'computer' though it shows up in device manager as 'this device is working properly'

The only generic advice I can find through google is that it may be a driver clash? someone reported deleting and reinstalling all USB drivers solved the issue, most advice is to delete all drivers (I assume not MB ones?) and reinstall everything?

As i'm a bit new to laptops, I'm not doing something daft, there's no rule of thumb you can't run 2.5" drives and mSATA together etc. ?!

cheers,

4 Replies
Crucial Employee

Re: Crucial M500 240GB mSATA Internal SSD BSOD when formatted as logical drive

Hi carb1de,

First of all I am sorry to hear that you're having issues with your SSD.  I have looked in to this and I have been unable to find this error listed against our SSD's before.

We unfortunately don't have that model on our records so I was unable to check the compatibility for you.  I have sent your question to our tech team to look in to it for you.

As soon as they get back to me I will let you know.  In the meantime you may want to contact Clevo directly to see if they have had this same issue before. 

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I have the exact same issue as the original poster. Only this time it is with a Alienware X51 R2 computer. (Dell)

Any advice before I send it back please?

Crucial Employee

Hi guys,

It looks like it's possibly down to the Intel RST drivers for your systems.  I would recommend checking you have the most up to date drivers for your storage slots.  It would also be worth checking to see if you have the drive set to IDE or AHCI in BIOS.

I would try both to see if that helps with the issue.  If there is a problem with your drives then we would be more than happy to arrange an exchange for you.  You can contact the customer service team for your region on the links in my signature.

If you need further help, please don't hesitate to ask and I would be more than happy to help. 

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I can confirm that I fixed this issue last night. I had done the following prior to trying the Intel RST Drivers (although I believe that these were the issue all along)

I updated my bios, I manually updated the Crucial mSATA Firmware I had updated USB 3.0 Drivers. After each I tried to format etc and this resulted in the BSOD with the same error.

After digging about I found the Intel RST - went to the website and downloaded the latest drivers. I went into device manager and updated the driver by forcing it to look in the local folder I put the DL to.

This fixed the issue.