Crucial M500 240Gb Sata M.2 Not booting when side cover is on.

Bit Baby

Crucial M500 240Gb Sata M.2 Not booting when side cover is on.

I am curious if the new M.2 drives have a shielding problem. I have just updated my new PC with the Crucial M500 240Gb Sata M.2 and just cloned the drive instead of clean instal of Windows 8.1. I had few other problems related to cloned drive that were related to other drives in my PC.

I have 3 Sata II drives now besides the ssd. Once I got those problems solved and the PC booted I was ready to put my cover on, so I shut off the PC, put the cover on and the got the message that I din't have bootable media in the PC. First I thought that something else was wrong and did some adjustment and booted the PC the cover off and no problems. After running awhile and making sure everything works I shut the PC off and put the cover on and the same problem, no bootable media message. So I opened up the cover and booted the computer without the cover and again no problem, so this time I just installed to cover with power on.

I have not had any problems running the PC and now I quess that I am not going to shut my PC down for awhile.

The previous boot media was 120Gb Kingston SSD drive and didn't cause any problems at all for booting.

So my observation is that those who have side cover fans and have problems booting might want to boot while the cover is off and then install the cover. That might help booting from this type of drive if there is problems.

As strainge as it sounds, it seems that the inteference  from the fan motor, if it is close enough to the ssd drive, can prevent the computer from booting.

That means that the drive would benefit from some shielding against electromagnetic radiation. Maybe Crucial would look into the matter, to confirm about if this is true or if I have some other peculiar problems that relates to my side cover.

5 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Crucial M500 240Gb Sata M.2 Not booting when side cover is on.

Hi PasiPTL,

Thank you for contacting us. I am sorry for the issues you have experienced with your M.2 drive. We haven't heard of any issues with shielding, but its something that is interesting. We can pass on this information for sure. 

Thanks, 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

interesting i had a similar problem. system would only boot after being tuned on then disconnecting the supply totally for a few mins then power up again. have upgraded firmwear in ssd and dissabled UEFI in bios and it seems to work but i will not know for sure till tommorow morning after it has been off all night. hope this helps. Mike

Bit Baby

I also have a similar issue. System fails to see the M.2 SSD from time to time and the only way to retify is to turn off the power supply for a minute or so and take the side of the case off. I have two systems running the same SSD and both experience the same problem.

Kilobyte Kid

OMG YES ME TOO! I was just about to try and get the MOBO replaced.... Did your sollution work?

Kilobyte Kid

Try the fix in blog.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/M550-256GB-M-2-dissapearing-after-resuming-from-s...

What your describing is due to the SSD being turned off by your power setting for Spinning down the drives.  Essentially removing the SSD because of the LPM issue.  I experianced what your describing when my drives spun down... 

Additional Note:

The described manual process works (z97 chipset latest drivers), but there is a catch. If you have not installed or set up Intel Rapid Start Technology (IRST e.g. irstrtdv & irstrtsv keys) properly the SSD sleep mode will still fail … differently but fail none the less (the sleep image will load but the SSD is missing after prolonged sleep). 

See this link to establish the IRST partition needed to complete the fix for both the sleep mode failure and the fast boot speed issue. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-033637.htm?wapkw=rapid+start+technology

NOTE: manually setting up the Hibernation Partition as describe CANNOT be undone or changed once completed. Insure you have set the partition size to what you may need for future installed memory e.g. if max memory is 16Gb then set to 16Gb even if you only currently have 8Gb installed.

Hope this helps.