Crucial M500 SSD in external USB 3.0 enclosure keeps disappearing on longer file transfers

mmo
Kilobyte Kid

Crucial M500 SSD in external USB 3.0 enclosure keeps disappearing on longer file transfers

I have an odd and very frustrating phenomenon with a Crucial M500 SSD (960 GB):

I was using the SSD in my former laptop (Lenov Thinkpad X201t / Win 8.1 Pro) for almost a year without the slightest poblem and was very happy with it. My new laptop (MS Surface Pro 3 / Win 8.1 Pro) has a built-in and unfortunately non-replacable SSD and so I intended to use the "old" SSD as an external USB device (for backup and "rubber-sole file transfers" between systems). For that I bought myself an USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure with SATA connector and inserted the drive into it.

To my dismay the drive exhibted a very nasty behavior when attached to the SP3: short file transfers work fine but as soon as I want to transfer any bigger file (larger than maybe 100MB) the drive suddenly "disappears" during the transfer (which of course yields a write error and the copy-operation gets aborted). Only seconds later the drive then always "re-appears".

At first I thought this may be an issue with the USB enclosure (a cheap ~$20 model) which may not request enough USB power and may thus have power glitches during longer file transfers. So I bought myself a second, more expensive enclosure which also allows for external power. But also with this drive enclosure (again a USB 3.0 model with SATA connector) I experience the same phenomenon: short file transfers work fine but as soon as some longer file gets transferred I hear a beep, the drive "disappears", the transfer aborts and seconds later there is another beep and the driver re-appears.

At last I tried with a older USB 2.0 enclosure and with this everything works fine, but of course the transfers are much slower which defeats the purpose of having an SSD. :-(

What can cause this? How come, that I have this repoducible error with two completely different USB 3.0 enclosures? The nominal power requirement of the Crucial SSD (~1.3W) should be easily available from the SP3's USB port, so I doubt that this is the issue esp. since the error also manifests with the externally powered USB 3.0 HD enclosure. But what else could cause this??? And how to fix this?

M.

2 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Crucial M500 SSD in external USB 3.0 enclosure keeps disappearing on longer file transfers

Have you gone in to "Advanced Power Settings" and tried changing the "USB Selective Suspend" to Disabled?

W7 Power Setting.JPG

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Crucial M500 SSD in external USB 3.0 enclosure keeps disappearing on longer file transfers

I would also add that any time you retrofit an SSD in to a device with a conventional drive you need to do the same thing for the Hard Disk so it never powers down. If you don't do this then errors will accumulate over time because garbage collection never runs. One other thing to do is to disable Defragmention which can actually hurt an SSD plus it provides no benefit. 

W7 HD Power.JPG