Crucial SSD m550 speed problem

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Crucial SSD m550 speed problem

Hi,

I recently bought a Crucial SSD m550 512GB ( Sata III ) and mounted it on my MacBook pro 13" mid 2010 which has a Sata II controller.

I performed a clean install of OSX Yosemite and then I performed some tests using Blackmagic disk speed test. The write and read speed was around 220 MB/s.

Is this value ok? I thought this ssd would saturate the sata II bandwidth (~ 300 MB/s)

Thinking the problem was OSX I installed Windows 7 x64 with bootcamp in a 64GB partition.

Now I performed some tests on Windows 7 using AS SSD Benchmark and these are the results:

as-copy-bench Crucial_CT512M55 22.02.2015 10-15-33.png

as-ssd-bench Crucial_CT512M55 22.02.2015 10-20-14.png

Are they ok? Are they slow because it is performing the tests on a partition of only 64 GB?
What does PCIIDE BAD means?

Thank you for your time.

John

13 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial SSD m550 speed problem

Sata 2 isn't 300MB/sec.  It's ~260MB/sec

PCIIDE BAD means you are using IDE mode rather than AHCI.  IDE is slower than AHCI.  It's  BIOS setting on a PC but I have no idea about Macs!

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
Dual Channel Surfer

@targetbsp wrote:

Sata 2 isn't 300MB/sec.  It's ~260MB/sec

PCIIDE BAD means you are using IDE mode rather than AHCI.  IDE is slower than AHCI.  It's  BIOS setting on a PC but I have no idea about Macs!

Bootcamp is a quite horrible in many ways. From my understanding, depending on Mac hardware and bootcamp version you end up with Windows running in IDE mode by default. I'm not sure if there is anything that can be done about it.

Perhaps this might help.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1766851

The moderation rules on these forums, means we can't see uploaded pictures until a moderator approves them.

Edit: SATA-2 is 300MB/s in theory, but no one gets the full 300MB/s, just like no one gets the full 600MB/s in SATA-3. For a SATA-2 SSD, I'm not sure what most people are getting for an M550, but I would have hoped for better than 240 ~ 250MB/s.

JEDEC Jedi

It may depend on the benchmarking software but you can always google for Blackmagic screenshots from SATA II systems.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for your response.

I checked that link but the procedure they describe seems dangerous for the stability of the system. Since I don't really need the speed on Windows I am not going to do it... 

As regard OSX, I performed again the test using Blackmagic tool and these are the results:

213.4 MB/s for write speed

264 MB/s for read speed

Are in your opinion these values ok? Is it normal that write speed is not reaching 260 MB/s ?

DiskSpeedTest.jpg

Sincerely I'd just like to be sure that my SSD has no problem and is performing as it should....

Do you know any other valid tool for testing the SSD from OS X?

SODIMM Sherpa

Dual Channel Surfer

The 264 MB/s read speed on OS X is good. I would have expected a little faster write speed than 213.4 MB/s, but now doing some searches, I don’t see anyone else getting much faster write speeds that what you are getting on that same model Macbook Pro 2010 13” or other SATA-II models.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1766867

It might be just that SATA controller. The 2011 and 2012 model Macbook Pro with SATA-III give much better speeds, so it isn’t hard to find benchmarks with 400-500 MB/s write speeds with the right SSD.

But in your case, unless there are people getting much faster write speeds with the same model MBP, then it probably isn’t worth worrying about.

Dual Channel Surfer

@summit48 wrote:
and it hasn't been permanently damaged by Trim being turned off.

....then purchase an Apple SSD from Apple.

No one is going to be permanently damaging their SSD by running without TRIM since Yosemite came out about 6 months ago. Not sure how long the M550 has been available either, but it hasn't been that long.

People have been running SSDs with OS X and Windows XP for years without TRIM. Even in the enterprise market people are running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 servers with ext3 file system (no TRIM support) and storage arrays using SSDs.

It isn't ideal for consistent performance or longevity, but it's not catastrophic either.

Of course Enterprise SSDs use large amounts of over-provisioning which helps.

Regarding "purchase an Apple SSD from Apple"...

Can you provide a link to where these are sold in the Apple store?

Remember, we are talking about a 2.5 inch SATA SSD, not the latest PCIe blade SSDs from the latest MBP Retina models.

It would be good if you could also post benchmarks from one of those 2.5 inch SATA Apple SSD as it would be nice to see if the performance was actually better than a current generation consumer SSD such as the M550.

===

Back to TRIM, I would suggest to people who haven't upgraded to Yosemite to stay with Mavericks, unless they really need some of the Yosemite handoff features for iOS integration. This is the approach that I have taken.

For everyone else I would point them to the following link:

http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

If they read the link and think "that doesn't sound too hard", then they can probably implement TRIM with Yosemite.

If they read the link and it sounds a bit complicated and want to keep things simple, then perhaps they should see how the Mac performs without TRIM first. It might not be ideal, but it could perfectly adequate, except for those people writting huge amounts of data every day.

Kilobyte Kid

Thank you very much for your answers.

I also searched the performance of other macbook pro 13" mid 2010 and it seems that the speed I am reaching are similar to those of other people.

I think I will stay without enabling trim because I don't want to mess around with kext... I also understood that Crucial has its own garbage collector that acts similarly to trim.

Unfortunately I need to stay with Yosemite because I am a apple developer and I need to use some of the new functionalities of the OS.

Just for sake of information... I enabled FileVault encryption on my macbook pro and now performance is a litte bit worst, but it is still acceptable. I get ~200 MB/s for write and ~230 MB/s for read.

I am scared about the Total Host Sector Writes which is already at 853 GB in one week. I read somewhere that Crucial M550 is guaranteed to work for 72TB... what happens when you reach 72TB?

SODIMM Sherpa