Crucial m4 SSD firmware 07MH for mSATA and 070H for 2.5" SATA both available

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Crucial m4 SSD firmware 07MH for mSATA and 070H for 2.5" SATA both available

I have installed 070H on my CT512M4 - not without some difficulty, but am very pleased with the results. I have had versions 0009, 309, 000F, 010G before and all have given trouble when booting up from shutdown where the drive is not detected, the only method to get it back being to connect the SSD via a USB adapter, start windows from a diskdrive, wait about 20 minutes and reconnect the USB, whereupon the SSD reappears and be reconnected via SATA

I should say that I use an ASUS U3S6 to provide the SATA 6 connection, my motherboard (P6T SE) only having SATA 3. I was given some poor quality advice on this forum saying that the SATA 3 connection would be as quick (Not True) and that that connection would not have the start up problem (was true on 0009 and 309 but in 010G the behaviour changed - if the drive was connected to SATA 3 after failing to boot it not only did not appear, but also made another hard drive on the SATA connection dissappear as well, making the USB method the only one workable. Putting the computer to sleep rather than shutdown avoided the problem).

Anyway I installed 070H. Had to do this via CD as the in place install never did work. Since the install has to be done on the SATA3 interface I had to go through the USB rigmarole first before the installer recognised the SSD. It installed. reconnected to SATA6 and it worked! I have had it going for about 3 weeks now and have not seen a hangup since.

Would definitely reccomend this version to anyone who has had startup problems

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Crucial m4 SSD firmware 07MH for mSATA and 070H for 2.5" SATA both available

The ASUS U3S6 has its own set of problems. Atleast that was the case last year when i researched a way to get Sata 6Gbps for an older computer. Perhaps those have now been resolved.

JEDEC Jedi

@almac wrote:

I should say that I use an ASUS U3S6 to provide the SATA 6 connection, my motherboard (P6T SE) only having SATA 3. I was given some poor quality advice on this forum saying that the SATA 3 connection would be as quick (Not True)

The Marvell 912x controller used on the U3S6 has slower random performance than your motherboard chipset will have.  Depending upon your usage, your real world performance may be better from your chipset despite the sata 2 limit.  The U3S6 will look better in sequential benchmarks and will perform better if you deal mostly in large files such as video editing, network monitoring or certain games.  Most other uses, it likely won't do so well at.

That's not just advice you'll get here - that's common opinion on the internet in general on several forums.

On the other hand, now you're happy with your setup... if it ain't broke... Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Yeah addon cards are never a good idea. I've tried adding sata iii, bad idea. Stuck to sata ii native.

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

I tried every single firmware after the 000F and all those firmware give me boot problems.

This 070H firmware is no different from the others. I went back immidialty to 000F version, the only one that gives no issues.

My laptop: Dell Inspiron 7520 (15R SE).

Kilobyte Kid

@Alessio89 wrote:

I tried every single firmware after the 000F and all those firmware give me boot problems.

This 070H firmware is no different from the others. I went back immediately to 000F version, the only one that gives no issues.

My laptop: Dell Inspiron 7520 (15R SE).

Alessio89, I have read that other users here also had boot issues with 070H.  Some said that they only had this issue the first reboot after installing 070H, and that the problem has not occurred since that initial reboot.  I'm just curious, did you reboot more than once after upgrading 070H, and continue having boot issues?  Thanks.

Kilobyte Kid

Mine wouldn't boot windows period on 070h until i downgraded back to 040h

Kilobyte Kid

Just an update. I've been using the new 070H firmware in my m4 drive, which at first had 0002 on it (HORRIBLE). Everything is still doing great with the 070H firmware for me. Although the other day when I turned my computer on after Windows 7 had done an update install, the drive was not recognized the first time. I did a hard reboot with the reset button on my computer and the drive was recognized again on restart. I didn't have to power cycle or anything. No clue why problems are all over the board for people with the same and different firmware updates. Do a lot of other SSD's have problems like or similar to these? I'm pretty new to the SSD scene here.

Hardware specs:
AsRock a770DE+
Athlon X2 Dual Core B5400 2.8GHz
2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5850
Crucial m4 64GB SSD
Samsung 2TB 7200RPM HDD
Windows 7 Professional 32bit
Kilobyte Kid

HEY every one on these forum (sorry my bad English, it is not my real language)

To the case. I have a Crucial M4 64 GB SSD there works perfect as it is now, but it has Firmware version 0009 and can se on the web that these Version have a bug there can cause BSOD at around 5000-5500 hours of running.

As you all can se on these screenshot, my SSD have no problems right now (i now the max read speed is low, its because i use a PCI sata 3 controller whit marvell controller there is limited to a max read speed of 375 MB/s, cause i have only sata 2 on my motherboard):

http://imageshack.dk/imagesfree/Dms27513.png

ups the first image crystal disk mark dosent show my SSD, it does now:

http://imageshack.dk/imagesfree/DIc29144.png

My drive works for now perfect, but since i have FW 0009 i scared about the BSOD bug:

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/BSOD-Crucial-M4/td-p/79098

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Crucial-m4-Firmware-BSOD,14544.html

http://techreport.com/news/22274/bsod-bug-hits-crucial-m4-ssds

But after reading these thread i am now also scared from upgrade FW and cause more problem whit new firmware, since i can se many complaining about problem whit these FW also.

So i whant to ask what to do? stay whit 0009 FW and risk BSOD/freeze after 5000 hours, upgrade FW and hope for the bedst or maybe try a older FW (if yes whits one?). please respond.

Kilobyte Kid

skylineGTR, you could try 070H first and if you end up having any issues, you could always downgrade to 0309 or 000F which I've read here that many people find stable and will definitely fix the 5000 hour bug that's in 0009 and older.